LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#101 July 7 2011

kareem_nasser

Re: IMEWE cable launching in Lebanon this summer

@Chup: In uncharted 2 multiplayer when i get green bars on other gamers it means that the latency is good?

Chup wrote:

IDM's response :

Dear Mr

Thank you for your email.

Kindly be informed that we are still waiting the approval from the ministry of telecommunications to fulfill the process below .

Looking forward to serve you better

This is a fair reply.

#102 July 7 2011

Chup

In uncharted 2 multiplayer when i get green bars on other gamers it means that the latency is good?

bad: red bar, ~350ms, playable if addicted to the game
moderate:  2 bars, yellow, ~250ms noticeable lag , but playable
good: 3 bars, green, ~150ms , you can't notice the lag
very good : 4 bars, green, ~50ms, usually the game hosts , no comment

This goes for 90% of games, it's kind of a standard when playing online

#103 July 9 2011

Mhmd

أعلن وزير الإتصالات نقولا صحناوي ان خدمة الانترنت تحسنت 40 % في اليومين الماضيين بالنسبة لسرعة التحميل والتنزيل وهي ستعم كافة الاراضي اللبنانية قريباً، مشدداً على ان هذه الخدمة ستشهد نقلة نوعية لاسيما بعد تامين 160 خط E1 لكل شركات خدمة الانترنت.

وأكد صحناوي للـ "ال بي سي" انه سيطرح في الجلسة الأولى لمجلس الوزراء تخفيض التعرفة على خدمات الإنترنت، كاشفاً انه سيقترح اعطاء الجامعات في لبنان انترنت مجاناً وانشاء بطاقات جديدة للهواتف الخليوية خاصة بالشباب.

وشدد صحناوي على ان مشروع الجيل الثالث سيستكمل في ايلول المقبل مع امكانية تاخيره محملاً لشهر او شهرين بسبب التقنيات.

#104 July 9 2011

Ruroken

40% improvement, well we surely didn't feel that.....

#105 July 10 2011

Nemesis-301

ان خدمة الانترنت تحسنت 40 % في اليومين الماضيين بالنسبة لسرعة التحميل والتنزيل

if that were true all 128kb/s accounts would become 180kb/s
all 256kb/s accounts would become 360kb/s
512kb/s would become 715kb/s
and al 1024kb/s would become 1435kb/s

#106 July 10 2011

Kassem

40% improvement not in speed as Nemesis-301 put it. It is 40% improvement in the quality of the connection. Haven't you guys subscribed to private resellers (IDM, Cyberia, Terranet...etc) been nagging over and over again about not getting the advertised speed and the lousy latency? Well, now you should be getting the advertised speed and improved latency. But you would be dumb to think you will be getting better data plans before the cabinet's approval of the minister's new pricing plan (which is supposed to be in the making now).

#107 July 10 2011

xazbrat

On a related note, we are no longer the worst internet in the world.  We are 170th out of 172.  http://www.netindex.com/download/2,104/Lebanon/

Only Iran and Malawi trail us.

I don't know if you can call it GOOD news though. :O

#108 July 10 2011

Kassem

Iran really shocks me. They could build a nuclear reactor, a space shuttle, ballistic missiles and and and... but they cannot provide their citizens with proper internet?!!

#109 July 10 2011

Mahmoud Brk

xazbrat wrote:

On a related note, we are no longer the worst internet in the world.  We are 170th out of 172.  http://www.netindex.com/download/2,104/Lebanon/

This is the improvement the Minister has talked about. Our speeds are still the same, but the quality and availability of the Internet service is now better.

Do you guys think that we'll have 1 mbps connection with, let's say, 8 GB down qouta for 20$ or less? Or I'm hoping too much ?

#110 July 10 2011

Mhmd

According to informed sources, the Telecom Ministry’s cost of the 2 Mbps international Internet feed via IMEWE is less than $30. That is why we believe there is still room for improvement, and hope the E1 price drops to $100 or less. In this scenario, the raw Internet cost per 2 Mbps subscription would be reduced to $3.3 per month and most certainly make the consumer happier!

Now with a Simple mathematical calculation, let's say that E1 price is dropped to 300$ (this is the plan) then according to what Cedarcom CEO said, the raw Internet cost per 2 Mbps subscription would be reduced to $9.9 per month

then after the reduction of price, a 2 mbps connection that costs more than $20 is an expensive one

and That's logic, E1 lines at the moment cost $3000 while 2 Mbps costs 200$/month, then after the 10-times cost reduction, E1 lines will cost $300 with a 2 Mbps connection of 20$/month

It would be NICE

Last edited by Mhmd (July 10 2011)

#111 July 10 2011

dan961

We are 170th out of 172.

We're 169th Now :)

#112 July 10 2011

nuclearcat

It wont become reduced like this, i guess just speeds will be raised a little.
My guess and real experience, telecom's cannot invest 1 penny in reliability and new coverage now, because most of profit goes to backbone. With new prices they can start to lay their own internal fiber, provide triple play and etc, after while... they need to stack some cash first.
But first what will be improved - FUP. I'm going to change it on VISP next week.

#113 July 10 2011

xazbrat

Mhmd wrote:

According to informed sources, the Telecom Ministry’s cost of the 2 Mbps international Internet feed via IMEWE is less than $30. That is why we believe there is still room for improvement, and hope the E1 price drops to $100 or less. In this scenario, the raw Internet cost per 2 Mbps subscription would be reduced to $3.3 per month and most certainly make the consumer happier!

Now with a Simple mathematical calculation, let's say that E1 price is dropped to 300$ (this is the plan) then according to what Cedarcom CEO said, the raw Internet cost per 2 Mbps subscription would be reduced to $9.9 per month

then after the reduction of price, a 2 mbps connection that costs more than $20 is an expensive one

and That's logic, E1 lines at the moment cost $3000 while 2 Mbps costs 200$/month, then after the 10-times cost reduction, E1 lines will cost $300 with a 2 Mbps connection of 20$/month

It would be NICE

You forgot one cost--what is going to be the implied cost of each gig to the user and the ISP.  If the drop the price around the same lines, a gig of data will go from $10 to 11 cents.  If those truly were the prices, it would allow both ISP's and end users some flexibility in the plans that are offered.

#114 July 10 2011

Hybrid

Adding speeds without more quota is like a suicide, I hope we get more quota!

#115 July 10 2011

Nemesis-301

I dont follow the news much, so when is the cabinet meeting going to take place?

#116 July 10 2011

belal

Thursday.

#117 July 10 2011

Kassem

Yup, it's Thursday. But it's not yet confirmed that the new pricing plan will be submitted on Thursday as there are many other issues they need to discuss which are "supposedly" more important than the internet. Moreover, it most likely depends on whether the minister gets the new pricing plan ready by that time. So, there's a good chance that it might get submitted on Thursday, if not, then it has to wait till the next meeting. But in any case, I think that starting next month, the new pricing plan will be in action.

#118 July 10 2011

MegaCool

2 mbps with constant latency 70~100ms and no stupid quotas for $30/month as a minimal plan should be considered. Hopefully.

Last edited by MegaCool (July 10 2011)

#119 July 10 2011

HotCreep

MegaCool.. Any chance you can whisper that plan to the minister's ears? :(

#120 July 10 2011

xterm

If 2Mbps is the highest an end user can get, i will revolt. Each has his needs, my needs aren't quota, but speed + latency. I want to do my internet tasks quickly to get back to more important things to do.

Last edited by xterm (July 10 2011)

#121 July 10 2011

The-MMMs

if anything my latency in online games and everything has been a revolution - 150ms and even better

a 10mb/s cnxn would be the icing on the cake; i can still dream right ?

i say a seldom 2mb/s and latency as it currently is is at most we can get - but why not more i suppose.

Last edited by The-MMMs (July 10 2011)

#122 July 10 2011

hussam

I hope providers at least upgrade users from 256k to 515k (from 512k to 1Mbit, from 1Mbit to 2Mbit, etc..).

#123 July 10 2011

Monkey D. Luffy

I want unlimited quota and higher speed... I'm a big video watcher who eats bandwidth

#124 July 10 2011

Hitman6267

Unlimited quota is not a reasonable request. It's not a sustainable business model and the shift from unlimited to reasonable bandwidth limits that is happening worldwide proves this.

#125 July 10 2011

hussam

Monkey D. Luffy wrote:

I want unlimited quota and higher speed... I'm a big video watcher who eats bandwidth

What provider do you have now?

Board footer