LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 26 2011

MegaCool

IMEWE cable launching in Lebanon this summer

Quote from Samer Karam - Flip the Switch.

BREAKING NEWS: sources have informed me that the lighting of the IMEWE cable HAS BEGUN! a TIER 1 contract has been signed to provide 'Internet access' to Lebanon via the IMEWE cable. MABROUK! we're on track for an end of summer faster Internet :)
...................over and out

Last edited by MegaCool (June 26 2011)

#2 June 26 2011

mmk92

Re: IMEWE cable launching in Lebanon this summer

MegaCool wrote:

Quote from Samer Karam - Flip the Switch.

BREAKING NEWS: sources have informed me that the lighting of the IMEWE cable HAS BEGUN! a TIER 1 contract has been signed to provide 'Internet access' to Lebanon via the IMEWE cable. MABROUK! we're on track for an end of summer faster Internet :)
...................over and out

who's samer karam?

#3 June 26 2011

cullinan86

Sorry, but I still don't believe it will happen.

#4 June 26 2011

haidcar

that's great news for 3G!

#5 June 26 2011

vengeance666

cullinan86 wrote:

Sorry, but I still don't believe it will happen.

it will happen sooner or earlier , at least the people won't stand still for unused 200gbps that should save them from very low quality connections

#6 June 26 2011

samer
Admin

mmk92 wrote:

who's samer karam?

He's behind Flip the Switch, who is working on getting politicians to light up the IMEWE cable.

#7 June 26 2011

hussam

samer wrote:
mmk92 wrote:

who's samer karam?

He's behind Flip the Switch, who is working on getting politicians to light up the IMEWE cable.

Over facebook?

The way I see it is if it hurts someone's (politician's interest) business, it won't happen. If it doesn't, it will happen. Look at the Obama's health plan for instance. The republican's main source of income is private insurance companies. So when Obama came up with the government's health plan, it was only allowed to get voted for when they came up with a loophole to make it not so effective and make sure it doesn't hurt Republican money.

Last edited by hussam (June 26 2011)

#8 June 26 2011

samer
Admin

hussam wrote:
samer wrote:
mmk92 wrote:

who's samer karam?

Over facebook?

No. Take a look at the website and some of the information on the facebook group. A lot of the action is happening on the ground rather than online.

#9 June 26 2011

amkahal

Nothing big before local fiber optics, but this was a good step.

Last edited by amkahal (June 26 2011)

#10 June 27 2011

MrClass

Still not going to believe any of this BS before I see the ads on TV or on the ISP's website.

#11 June 27 2011

Ahmad_k

Well today i was in my friend's office (Ogero Office Tripoli Employee) and he saw me the design of the room that MIC2 want to build in the central. They are getting the hardware necessary and soon they will operate the 3G. And also they are getting some adapter to interface our old twisted pair to fiber optic and this is the first target.

As my friend said, 3G will operate before september

#12 June 27 2011

rolf

Maybe this will happen but I believe this country will still be run (at least half of the time) by people who don't know their A from their H when it comes to technology (or whatever sector they are responsible of).
Obviously such people are not always going to push through the needed reforms, are likely to take bad and costly decisions, and will have to pay really qualified and skilled people twice the normal salary so that they accept to work for them and take orders from them.

#13 June 27 2011

eliefares

New update from Samer:

UPDATE: 10 Gbps signed with Level3 in Marseilles. more details to follow.

#14 June 27 2011

maba723

I know that Lebanon is currently on a 2.5 Gbps, So increasing it to 10gbps will improve the internet speed a bit. If the whole project is successful, then Lebanon should enjoy 150Gbps

#15 June 27 2011

hussam

Anyone knows how this will affect private ISP customers? Or will all the extra bandwidth go to Ogero?

#16 June 27 2011

Raficoo

hussam wrote:

Anyone knows how this will affect private ISP customers? Or will all the extra bandwidth go to Ogero?

extra bandwidth goes to Ogero>Ogero distributes them among ISPs
usual monopoly tactic I believe.

#17 June 27 2011

hussam

Raficoo wrote:
hussam wrote:

extra bandwidth goes to Ogero>Ogero distributes them among ISPs
usual monopoly tactic I believe.

And there is no guarantee that Ogero will give ISPs more bandwidth so this could be counter productive for customers for ISPs like VISP for instance.

#18 June 27 2011

WizaRd

As long as it fixes Ogero's ongoing problems (1 month with erratic web browsing) and give more freedom to ISPs to compete and offer better services, we're still stuck in the same loop.

#19 June 28 2011

Mhmd

I think it's a lie, rumor !
No official releases or any news from minister Nahas or Sehnawi or even Ogero.

#20 June 29 2011

Ahmad_k

Mhmd wrote:

If you any friend in any central ask him. The papers are signed from March, and the implementation has been started from 10/6/2011

#21 June 29 2011

vengeance666

Mhmd wrote:

Samer Karam is a trustable source , he's a not a kid trying to spread rumors or working for a political party.. he said it's being implemented , it means it's being implemented.. no kid games here..

#22 June 30 2011

WizaRd

Okay, it's the first time in 3 years I've seen my connection pinging less than 120ms to bbc.co.uk!

It looks like I just got a 30ms upgrade today. It's pinging in the 90's. Niiice!

Edit: Oh, and I'm with Ogero's 512K DSL.

Last edited by WizaRd (June 30 2011)

#23 June 30 2011

Mahmoud Brk

I'm having surprising pings, too. I'm with Ogero 128K, and I used to have 1000+ ms ping to google.com, and now I'm getting 200 ms!!
Also to bbc.co.uk, I'm getting 120ms.
I'll make a speedtest now.

I don't know if it's related to the IMEWE or just a traffic issue.

#24 June 30 2011

Mhmd

LOL in contrary to you, I'm having surprising pings with Sodetel, my pings were 300ms max and 100ms min, but now, and since 2~3 days ago, my ping is constant at 450+ ms on all ip addresses.
Moreover, the connection these days is too bad, websites are taking a long time to load and need a lot of refreshing

Last edited by Mhmd (June 30 2011)

#25 June 30 2011

Mhmd

btw I have a Question, The TIER1 contract is different than the 10 Gbps Level3 contract ??
we have now two contracts for the IMEWE ?

Board footer