LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#76 July 6 2011

hussam

Re: IMEWE cable launching in Lebanon this summer

nuclearcat wrote:

ISP's will start getting upgrades in 2 weeks

Woohoo. You the man, nuclearcat! :))

#77 July 6 2011

Mhmd

More info nuclearcat please

#78 July 6 2011

nuclearcat

Prices significally lower, first bandwidth upgrade for ISP's will be that, that they paid before and requested before. Not much, but must have positive impact on users.
I don't like to publish much info, till i dont see by my eyes that bandwidth came and what is real price.

#79 July 6 2011

Chup

nuclearcat wrote:

Prices significally lower, first bandwidth upgrade for ISP's will be that, that they paid before and requested before. Not much, but must have positive impact on users.
I don't like to publish much info, till i dont see by my eyes that bandwidth came and what is real price.

But will the latencies improve before that ?

#80 July 6 2011

Hybrid

Apple Safari wrote:

It's sad that I haven't noticed a single improvement in my connection (Cyberia 256 kbps ADSL).
Latency just got worst (504 ms).

Same here, I'm having around 330 ms ping to google.com, usually its around 150 ms

#81 July 6 2011

Ghaleb

nuclearcat wrote:

Upgrades, in terms of latency, speed or prices?

#82 July 6 2011

Flakk

Well Its still too early to start seeing changes, we waited 6 years for this lets just wait a few more weeks and see what happens.

Last edited by Flakk (July 6 2011)

#83 July 6 2011

Mahmoud Brk

@Flakk Yeah you're are right! I don't think we'll notice any difference NOW even if the IMEWE is on! The ISPs may find changes in the flow of bandwidth coming to their centrals via the E1s, but it won't come to our homes unless they allow it.

Is what I've just said technically wrong or right?

Last edited by Mahmoud Brk (July 6 2011)

#84 July 6 2011

HotCreep

Now this is a topic to subscribe to! I read somewhere today that the government will soon offer E1 lines for 300 dollars instead of 2600 dollars. Any truth in that?

Last edited by HotCreep (July 6 2011)

#85 July 6 2011

Hybrid

HotCreep wrote:

Now this is a topic to subscribe to! I read somewhere today that the government will soon offer E1 lines for 300 dollars instead of 2600 dollars. Any truth in that?

The government hasn't approved that yet, but the ministry of telecommunication will propose this idea in the next few coming weeks

#86 July 6 2011

Chup

My email To IDM :

Dear all,

“The Minister of Communications Nicola Sehnaoui Announced in a statement released by his office the media "that the Lebanese will see in the next few days, a tremendous development in the service of the Internet, in conjunction with the free international capacity on cables IMEWE and Cadmus, as a result of hard work and accumulated his ministers successive on the ministry, especially the two ministers Gebran Bassil, Charbel Nahhas. "

He noted that he would submit "in the coming weeks to the Cabinet a draft decree to reduce online tarrifs as part of a basket of tariffs reduced intends to put it on the level of services of the telecommunications sector and the mobile sector, are intended to ease the burden on users and expand the penetration rates and compensation for deficiencies meant that characterized the last months. “

I’m just a regular IDM subscriber and I just heard these news ,
Is this true or just another hoax ?
Regards,

IDM's Response :

Dear Mr

Kindly be informed that your request has been escalated to the concerned department to be checked. We will keep you posted

Regards,

#87 July 6 2011

Mhmd

waiting the second reply Chup

#88 July 6 2011

m0ei

same but you should have asked them " What's the upcoming prices/packages "

#89 July 6 2011

Chup

m0ei wrote:

same but you should have asked them " What's the upcoming prices/packages "

Can't do that untill my email reaches the " concerned department " >.<

#90 July 6 2011

jsaade

They will not tell you the upcoming prices as they are still rumours until the new government signs the new laws.

#91 July 6 2011

omar_killer

hmm,I'am sorry if that's a noob-ish question but I'am a subscriber with a normal "cable" internet(I was a Cyberia user,but I found the "cable" much better)does the IMEWE affects users like me?will I have faster internet/better pings?

#92 July 6 2011

hussam

omar_killer wrote:

hmm,I'am sorry if that's a noob-ish question but I'am a subscriber with a normal "cable" internet(I was a Cyberia user,but I found the "cable" much better)does the IMEWE affects users like me?will I have faster internet/better pings?

from a neighborhood cable guy? no, it'll be the same. But 'cable guy' connections are always better anyway. my neighborhood's cable guy gives unlimited (she downloads 40+ Gigs a month), 100ms ping 24/7, etc..

#93 July 6 2011

AvoK95

I GOT 2597MS to ping to google.com ..LOL

#94 July 6 2011

EddieEC

ping bbc.co.uk is ~115 ms, and google.com ~120ms (down by 100! :O)

#95 July 6 2011

belal

Switch flipped, Internet still slow

The Internet floodgates are finally open for Lebanon to receive much-needed international bandwidth via an undersea fiber-optic cable. It will, however, take at least a few more weeks for consumers to see a significant difference.

“[Consumers] will not see any dramatic result until a new pricing scheme is in place,” said Habib Torbey, chairman of Globalcom Data Services, a local Internet and data service provider. Antoine Boustany, an advisor to Telecom Minister Nicolas Sehnaoui, said the new price scheme needs to be approved by cabinet, which has not yet received a vote of confidence in parliament.

Download speeds in Lebanon have been laughably slow for years because the country has not had access to a large amount of international bandwidth.

That changed Monday, when the India, Middle East and Western Europe—or IMEWE—“switch” was flipped. The IMEWE is an undersea fiber-optic cable with the capacity to transfer 3.84 Terabits of data per second, which is exponentially more than the few Gigabits of international bandwidth Lebanon had before it started using the cable. Bandwidth via this cable is also crucial for Lebanon to roll out 3G mobile phone networks, which will also offer high-speed Internet connections, expected in September.

Lebanon’s new cabinet must agree to new prices at which to sell Internet access before customers can buy the newly available high-speed connections now possible because of this additional bandwidth. The Internet market in Lebanon is liberalized—it has private Internet and data service providers like IDM, Terranet and Cyberia—but is still largely in state hands. Access to this new cable is controlled by the government, which sells access to the private sector, and sets Internet package prices for the consumer, or directly to consumers through Ogero.

Via the Ministry of Telecommunications, the state currently sells international bandwidth to the private sector at extremely high prices—some $2,700 for a 2.048 Mbps connection, compared with averages around $200 in the region and $20 in the US and Europe for the same connection, according to Khaldoun Farhat, Terranet’s CEO.

Private Internet and data service providers started purchasing more bandwidth—at the current high price—beginning Monday to fill backorders from months ago, but will not pass on high speeds to consumers until the prices they pay are lowered, members of the private sector interviewed for this article told NOW Lebanon.

Their argument is thus: To give consumers high speeds right away, they would have to charge very high prices or give fast connections at current prices, thereby losing all their profits. Negotiations between the Ministry of Telecommunications and the private sector on prices are currently underway.

“We’re pushing to have it reduced to $100, they’re saying $300,” Imad Tarabay, CEO of Cedarcom, an Internet and data service provider, told NOW Lebanon.

Boustani, Telecom Minister Sehnaoui’s advisor, told NOW Lebanon that the new price list should be agreed to, “I think, within one month.”

When the new prices are agreed, NOW Lebanon previously reported, consumers will most likely pay the same amount for connections that they pay now, but the connections will be much faster and have higher—or possibly no—limits on how much they can download each month. (For example, a $33 connection might still still cost $33, but the speed could be 1 Mbps instead of 512 Kbps with a 5 GB download limit, if there is a limit at all.)

Until then, consumers might notice a slight uptick in the speed of their current connections. When buying an Internet connection with an advertised download speed (for example, 512 Kbps), a customer does not receive a dedicated line (i.e., the customer is not guaranteed to always be able to download at 512 Kbps).

This is standard practice around the world because customers are not always using their connections to the maximum at every moment of the day. Internet and data service providers split connections among several customers so that each can potentially benefit from the advertised download speed. This is why there are some times of the day when an Internet connection will be slower or faster, depending on how many people are using the shared connection at once.

Because Lebanon’s Internet and data service providers now have more bandwidth, customers’ connections are more likely to be closer to their advertised download speeds than they currently are, all of the providers interviewed for this article said. For now, “customers may expect, let’s say, less congestion,” Torbey, of Globalcom Data Services, said.

The eight other telecom companies that built and now operate the IMEWE cable have been getting additional bandwidth from it since December 2010, a member of the IMEWE consortium told NOW Lebanon.

Boustany told NOW Lebanon that, indeed, the cable has been ready for months, “but we switched it on now because there was a misunderstanding or conflict, if you want, with the director general of Ogero.”

The arguments between the Ministry and Ogero, a state-owned company that controls the fixed-line network and Internet market, have been widely reported. Now both are taking credit for bringing bandwidth via the IMEWE. Boustany insists the ministry signed contracts abroad to bring more capacity, while a source from Ogero told NOW Lebanon, “We activated capacity on IMEWE and entered into agreements with tier-one providers [to bring Lebanon bandwidth].”

Given that an argument between Ogero and the ministry prevented Lebanon from using the IMEWE for over half a year, it remains to be seen if problems between the two will disrupt the service in the future.

http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArticleDe … z1RN3DeVa3

rolling eyes

Last edited by belal (July 6 2011)

#96 July 7 2011

xazbrat

That last article is so flawed, I don't know where to begin.  Prices drop 90% but speed doubles for the same price--I don't know where they got that logic.

#97 July 7 2011

Chup

IDM's response :

Dear Mr

Thank you for your email.

Kindly be informed that we are still waiting the approval from the ministry of telecommunications to fulfill the process below .

Looking forward to serve you better

#98 July 7 2011

Chup

Bandwidth via this cable is also crucial for Lebanon to roll out 3G mobile phone networks, which will also offer high-speed Internet connections, expected in September.

I think this is somewhat relaxing , knowing that you can't have 3G without that bandwidth , you can't have that bandwidth without that cable , you can't have that cable without that parliament, and we have that =p

#99 July 7 2011

GreenM

1 Mbps instead of 512 Kbps??? looool

#100 July 7 2011

Chup

IMG-20110707-00291-011649.jpg
For the 1st time since i can remember , i'm getting ~100 ms latency ( 3 green bars )
i tested it with different hosts on different game modes
2 out of 5 games i got 3 Bars
i'm with IDM 512KBps

Board footer