LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 June 30 2011

vengeance666

Re: IMEWE cable launching in Lebanon this summer

i am with VISP , getting 85ms to 110ms maximum to bbc.net.uk ! amazing ! and 170ms to google.com ( too bad )

EDIT : 12:05 AM , FUP'ed , and still less than 100ms to bbc ! but 3k+ to google and some timeouts :\

Last edited by vengeance666 (June 30 2011)

#27 June 30 2011

WizaRd

Hmm, latency's back to 'normal' with 120-130ms on bbc.

Oh well!

#28 June 30 2011

EddieEC

I'm getting 120 ms ping as well on European websites, and servers based on US shores! :O

#29 June 30 2011

Mahmoud Brk

I'm still the same. 200ms to google.com, and 120ms to bbc.co.uk
Unfortunately, I don't play any online game, and I'm not interested in low ping, but if the DSL is improved--hoping this summer--I will get into online gaming.

Last edited by Mahmoud Brk (June 30 2011)

#30 July 1 2011

amkahal

Hey guys, i have something interesting here.
it seems that our internet traffic in lebanon is routed via new cables(or at least for Terranet), maybe it will be IMEWE or CADMOS or don't know.

take a look at this:

ping.jpg

and this:

Show Level 3 (London, England) Traceroute to ssg.terra.net.lb (212.98.136.18)

1 ae-34-52.ebr2.London1.Level3.net (4.69.139.97) 0 msec *  0 msec
  2 vlan101.ebr1.London1.Level3.net (4.69.143.85) 0 msec
    vlan104.ebr1.London1.Level3.net (4.69.143.97) 0 msec 0 msec
  3 ae-47-47.ebr1.Paris1.Level3.net (4.69.143.110) 4 msec 8 msec 8 msec
  4 ae-1-7.bar1.Marseille1.Level3.net (4.69.143.237) 20 msec 20 msec 16 msec
  5 213.242.116.26 60 msec 56 msec 56 msec
  6  *  *  * 
  7 gi-0-1.core-2.terra.net.lb (212.98.136.55) [AS39010 {TERRANET-AS}] 56 msec 60 msec 60 msec
  8 ssg.terra.net.lb (212.98.136.18) [AS39010 {TERRANET-AS}] 56 msec *  56 msec

1 - the delay from site "ping.eu" to "ssg.terra.net.lb"(AC server of Terranet) has never exceeded 85 ms in best case.
2 - the traffic is routed for the first time via a node in Marseille to Lebanon Directly, and the delay is too low than before.

So, what do you think ?

#31 July 1 2011

amkahal

the delay from Marseille to Terranet Servers is 40 ms  , Oh my Good !

Show Level 3 (Marseille, France) Ping to ssg.terra.net.lb (212.98.136.18)
icmp_seq=0 ttl=253 time=40.311 ms
icmp_seq=1 ttl=253 time=40.632 ms
icmp_seq=2 ttl=253 time=40.203 ms
icmp_seq=3 ttl=253 time=40.388 ms
icmp_seq=4 ttl=253 time=40.196 ms
icmp_seq=5 ttl=253 time=40.300 ms
icmp_seq=6 ttl=253 time=40.190 ms
icmp_seq=7 ttl=253 time=40.539 ms
icmp_seq=8 ttl=253 time=40.324 ms
icmp_seq=9 ttl=253 time=40.215 ms

---- ssg.terra.net.lb statistics ----
10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss
rtt min/avg/median/max/mdev/stddev = 40.19/40.33/40.305/40.632/0.338/0.144 ms

#32 July 1 2011

DG

Let's hope this is the beginning of a new era but I'd hold back on any promises until we have some actual evidence.

On a lighter note, all this progress will still be hindered (and is still hindered in my case) by local infrastructure.

I am still randomly getting disconnected from DSL several times per day (my DSL led goes off) which leads me to say that no matter what improvement is achieved on an international level, if we don't have the local backbone to support it we will never be able to enjoy the Internet.

I have proven to Ogero that the problem is not due to bad wiring within my building by basically connecting my modem directly to Ogero's box in my building (I still got a S/N ratio drop and I got disconnected).
I hope they will now accept responsibility and change my reference (marja3). If not, then as I said, all the progress in the world is still useless.

#33 July 1 2011

Mahmoud Brk

Today, I met a friend of mine working in the DSL section in Ogero central, Saida. I told him about the improvements, and asked him if the IMEWE is launched, and he said no, but he told me about something got fixed and I really don't remember what is it (it's something related to our infrastructure I'd say).

#34 July 1 2011

GeorgeN

Mhmd wrote:

LOL in contrary to you, I'm having surprising pings with Sodetel, my pings were 300ms max and 100ms min, but now, and since 2~3 days ago, my ping is constant at 450+ ms on all ip addresses.
Moreover, the connection these days is too bad, websites are taking a long time to load and need a lot of refreshing

Ditto, as off 2 to 3 days ago my ping has almost doubled, constant 100ms at non peak times, to 220ms at non peak times, hitting 350 - 400ms at 10pm + with minor packet loss insane jitter and mini disconnections, I called them and as usual, they're clueless, gave me the usual reply, tracert and email! And if you send them one with 300 - 400ms they tell you its normal and everything is perfect.

#35 July 1 2011

vengeance666

pfftt too good to last , ping to bbc back to 120 130ms again

#36 July 4 2011

EddieEC

@Fastlebanon (on twitter) just said that the IMEWE cable has been turned on and ISPs will get new lines this week. And they say it's 100% confirmed.

#37 July 4 2011

The-MMMs

Are we talking about higher bandwidth and more data plans

since im sick of redownloading a 2.3GB file using my Ogero cnxn only finding it to be corrupt when im done downloading.

#38 July 4 2011

yasamoka

The-MMMs wrote:

since im sick of redownloading a 2.3GB file using my Ogero cnxn only finding it to be corrupt when im done downloading.

You downloading Crysis 2 patches of course! EACH one I've downloaded was corrupt! Eventually I stopped using download managers like Orbit and downloaded using firefox...the texture pack I downloaded it from a torrent...Want to pass by? I can give them to you on a USB flash drive.

Last edited by yasamoka (July 4 2011)

#39 July 5 2011

The-MMMs

yasamoka wrote:
The-MMMs wrote:

You downloading Crysis 2 patches of course! EACH one I've downloaded was corrupt! Eventually I stopped using download managers like Orbit and downloaded using firefox...the texture pack I downloaded it from a torrent...Want to pass by? I can give them to you on a USB flash drive.

no im trying to download the latest map pack for blackops via my PS3 - i had no trouble with the one before (it was 1.6GB)

I dunno why it happened this time -_- (ya di3aaan el bandwidth)

#40 July 5 2011

GreenM

الوزير صحناوي: اللبنانيون سيشهدون في الايام القليلة المقبلة تطورا هائلا في خدمة الانترنت بالتزامن مع تحرر السعات الدولية على كابلي IMEWE وقدموس

#41 July 5 2011

Mhmd

GreenM wrote:

الوزير صحناوي: اللبنانيون سيشهدون في الايام القليلة المقبلة تطورا هائلا في خدمة الانترنت بالتزامن مع تحرر السعات الدولية على كابلي IMEWE وقدموس

More than LIKE , where did you get it from :o ?

#42 July 5 2011

MegaCool

Confirmed: Internet service in Lebanon getting an overhaul and low prices soon

أعلن وزير الاتصالات نقولا صحناوي في بيان وزعه مكتبه الإعلامي "أن اللبنانيين سيشهدون في الأيام القليلة المقبلة تطورا هائلا في خدمة الانترنت، بالتزامن مع تحرر السعات الدولية على كابلي
وقدموس IMEWE ، وذلك نتيجة لعمل دؤوب ومتراكم بذله الوزراء المتعاقبون على الوزارة، وخصوصا الوزيران جبران باسيل وشربل نحاس".

ولفت إلى أنه سيتقدم "خلال الاسابيع المقبلة الى مجلس الوزراء بمشروع مرسوم لخفض تعرفة الانترنت كجزء من سلة تعرفات مخفضة ينوي طرحها على مستوى خدمات قطاع الاتصالات من خلوي وغيره، ترمي الى تخفيف العبء عن المستخدمين وتوسيع معدلات الاختراق والتعويض عن القصور المقصود الذي طبع الاشهر الاخيرة".

Source

Last edited by MegaCool (July 5 2011)

#43 July 5 2011

kareem_nasser

"Soon" in Lebanese terms is 5 to 10 years. Still there is no action, so i wont believe.

#44 July 5 2011

J4D

We have the best government since aloooot of time. Have faith people :) The contracts were signed and all is going good. Unleash the Internets !

#45 July 5 2011

kareem_nasser

Hope i am wrong then.
After all this is over, there should be a Lebgeeks meeting so that we can take pictures of us "geeks" and how happy we are.

#46 July 5 2011

EddieEC

Can't wait!! Lower prices, more quota, better latency! YAY!

#47 July 5 2011

Hybrid

ولفت إلى أنه سيتقدم "خلال الاسابيع المقبلة الى مجلس الوزراء بمشروع مرسوم لخفض تعرفة الانترنت كجزء من سلة تعرفات مخفضة ينوي طرحها على مستوى خدمات قطاع الاتصالات من خلوي وغيره

In few weeks he will submit it, and it will take few weeks to get approved... so at least a month for lower prices

Hopefully not for the latency

#48 July 5 2011

Mahmoud Brk

@ kareem_nasser why are you so pessimistic? The minister has announced himself! So it can't be wrong!

ALL HAIL IMEWE !  At last we'll watch youtube videos =)

#49 July 5 2011

m0ei

Was going to post it now.

Can't wait !!!! I just can't wait !!

#50 July 5 2011

haidcar

Paladin wrote:

ولفت إلى أنه سيتقدم "خلال الاسابيع المقبلة الى مجلس الوزراء بمشروع مرسوم لخفض تعرفة الانترنت كجزء من سلة تعرفات مخفضة ينوي طرحها على مستوى خدمات قطاع الاتصالات من خلوي وغيره

In few weeks he will submit it, and it will take few weeks to get approved... so at least a month for lower prices

Hopefully not for the latency

speed and latency will improve before the price reductions. i really cant wait to try it

Last edited by haidcar (July 5 2011)

Board footer