LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#426 August 22 2011

Nemesis-301

Re: IMEWE cable launching in Lebanon this summer

I don't know why, but I have a feeling, that after getting a 2mb/4mb internet connection (hopefully) I'm gonna get bored of the internet in 3 days:O

#427 August 22 2011

d3ad

shant wrote:

the new plans STILL SUCK
20 up and down? REALLY??
its a joke!
i swear i know someone from pakistan(you know how that country is like) and he has 10mbps with unlimited, seriously now, anyway, still waiting for upgrades

I am from Pakistan and 20mbps was last year, they just launched 50mbps on copper (VDSL) @ 240$/per month with unlimited downloads

normal packages with unlimited downloads 
1Mbps at Rs 1199 US$14
4Mbps at Rs 1999 US$24
6Mbps at Rs 4999 US$60
8Mbps at Rs 6999 US$83

btw i can assure you Pakistan is just like lebanon or worst in a few things at this point of time :) we are nuclear power but we cant use it produce electricity :)

#428 August 22 2011

Mahmoud Brk

Nemesis-301 wrote:

I don't know why, but I have a feeling, that after getting a 2mb/4mb internet connection (hopefully) I'm gonna get bored of the internet in 3 days:O

You just feel like this. I'm in KSA right now, using unlimited 3G connection up to 7.2 mbps! Literally, you can do anything! So I assure you won't get bored if you like to watch movies and shows. In addition, you can finish your tasks quicker and the most important: you won't get irritated from the damn slow connection!

#429 August 22 2011

shant

guy if you read wikipedia it says that we will have 10-15mbps in by 2011 and 20mb after the year, i think its gonna start slow then go faster?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommun … in_Lebanon

#430 August 22 2011

Mhmd

Mr. Nicolas Sehnaoui page comment :

Tomorrow we'll have plenty to share and a special surprise for this page's fans!

#431 August 23 2011

The-MMMs

nuclearcat wrote:

If your line cannot do more than 256k, it will remain 256k even with new services.

Damn -_-

... I hope it was just BS then :(

still i will be "upgraded" to the 1mb but will still receive a max speed of 256 - guess i'll have more quota then

#432 August 23 2011

Aly

Today is the big day

مجلس الوزراء ينعقد اليوم في بيت الدين وعلى جدول اعماله 67 بندا
وستدرس الجلسة في طلب وزارة التربية والتعليم العالي تعيين مدير عام للتعليم المهني والتقني . كما ستدرس طلب وزارة الاتصالات الموافقة على مشروع مرسوم يرمي الى تخفيض تعرفة رسوم الانترنت .

http://www.lebanonfiles.com/news_desc.php?id=260079

Last edited by Aly (August 23 2011)

#433 August 23 2011

samer
Admin

Guys, please keep this topic for announcements only.

#434 August 23 2011

hj88

Ministry of Telecom Video Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p1P5Mi4OX0

#435 August 23 2011

Georges

The video that made my day.
Loading - Ministry of Telecom

#436 August 23 2011

Nemesis-301

posted by "Lebanese want fast internet"

Mabrouk Lebanon! Mabrouk Lebanese Want Fast Internet.
Starting September 24th 2011 you will enjoy DSL at speeds of 1, 2, 4, and 6-8 Mbps.
Price decree passed :))))

#437 August 23 2011

nuclearcat

VISP
I try to increase all existing services speed x4. Let's see how network will handle.

#438 August 23 2011

jasmar82

Lebanese Want Fast Internet : يعمل بهذا المرسوم إبتداءً من أول يوم من الشهر الذي يلي تاريخ نشره بالجريدة الرسمية

#439 August 23 2011

xazbrat

http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArticleDe … ?ID=304356

September 29th according to this article.

#440 August 23 2011

samer
Admin

Again, guys; please post well-sourced announcements. No questions or speculations in this topic. Let's keep things readable for everyone.

#441 August 23 2011

trophyhunter

hey azbrat are those prices and packages only for ogero or will they be available for all isp?

#442 August 23 2011

mhs888

#443 August 23 2011

xazbrat

trophyhunter wrote:

hey azbrat are those prices and packages only for ogero or will they be available for all isp?

Go back to page 15 in this discussion and you will see three charts.  Number 6 is the wholesale pricing for ISP's.  If you subscribe to a DSL service from Cyberia, IDM or another non-Ogero provider, the final price charged will be higher than that one and most likely lower than Ogero customers as it is now.  As for unlimited download nights, I assume that it will be dependent on the ISP and the number of centraals where it will be available will increase over time.

And note this--this decree only affects these three items:  DSL speeds and quota, DSL pricing, and pricing for going above the quota.  If you get your internet through means other than DSL, this doesn't directly affect you exept possibly for the new pricing for quotas.  In addition, there is bad news for you if you have a WISE box.  Apparently the hardware only allows a maximum speed of 1 mbps down, so these guys won't feel the speed increase that DSL users will.

#444 August 23 2011

jsaade

The new prices vs quota are good as a change but still a bit bad. Waitimg for ISPs to release unlimited plans.
Additionally what is the new price per GB (if you go over the limit as it was 10$)

#445 August 23 2011

xazbrat

ZeRaW wrote:

The new prices vs quota are good as a change but still a bit bad. Waitimg for ISPs to release unlimited plans.
Additionally what is the new price per GB (if you go over the limit as it was 10$)

LL6,000 or $4

#446 August 23 2011

imadthemad

what about bandwidth costs of going over the cap?
surely it can't still be 10$ per extra GB...
any word about this?

and will the upload speed on a 4mbps connection really be 512k?

Also, from what i understood, isps can now make their own pacakges and pricing. So for example, some isps might give you an 8mbps which might be significantly cheaper than ogero's price but may be shared by more users. Maybe some isps might create plans with greater caps?

Finally, is it september 24 or september 29? i know right now it doesnt matter (coz it's a month from now), but in a month from now this 5 day difference will be a nail biter!

#447 August 23 2011

samer
Admin

If you haven't noticed, this article from NowLebanon is linking to us :)

#448 August 23 2011

imadthemad

Is 4$ per gb fixed and applies to all isps? seems excessive especially for sequential packages with 10gb difference in cap (but way less than 40$ difference in price)

#449 August 23 2011

Joe

Speeds and quotas are okay, but prices are still too high. Why can't users get a decent connection for 30$ still amazes me.

Notice that the prices do not include the 10% VAT.

#450 August 23 2011

samer
Admin

This topic is now to big to be maintainable. Please use the following topics to continue the discussion:

Internet in Lebanon - Articles
Internet in Lebanon - Questions

Board footer