LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#401 August 22 2011

Mr. Anderson

Re: IMEWE cable launching in Lebanon this summer

What about the wireless wise box, mobi, wigo prices and speeds?

#402 August 22 2011

xterm

obviously those have nothing to do with the ministry's pricing schema. You'll have to contact the respective companies for information about those.

#403 August 22 2011

Abou7meed

So...there is no unlimited package for heavy user downloader ?!
Any speed / any price for unlimited download !! not even 256 or 512  ( when 8 Mbps exists !! )

2 Mbps for : 10 GB Down / 10 GB Up
1 hour downloading in 2 Mbps speed is approx 800 MB
So you need around 13 hours straight downloading .... and then all your quota GONE

Guys its the same when you have high speed above 1 Mbps, its faster to consume your quotas since your speed is already high.....
So, we are now happy with our new fast speed...lets try watching YouTube peacefully now with no more waiting/loading times.....couple of days watching YouTube HD clips....No more quotas available !!

More Quota is needed !!

#404 August 22 2011

xterm

The ministry has nothing to do with unlimited packages, that's up to the ISP to define.

Do not mix the ministry's role with the ISP's role.

#405 August 22 2011

bearhog

Correct me if I am wrong, but the quota is for both up and down. Note than when DSL was first introduced, the quota at the time was for both up and down, and then they changed it later on to become X GB up and X GB down.
Thus, we should assume that the current prices are for both up and down which makes the deal so much worse.

#406 August 22 2011

IMEWE

Actually after being accepted by ministry this tuesday  there is a maximum period of 6 months for the changes to take effect.

#407 August 22 2011

The-MMMs

Guys a tech question here

when i first applied to Ogero DSL, i requested the 512kb/s plan and they only gave me the 256kb/s and they told me : el 5tuuut bil manta2a 3andak ma bi yahmillo aktar min heik

is that complete BS ? since i get exactly 256kb/s, the MAX, it's as if my line can take much more.

My Ogero Center is Khaleh, and i live in bchamoun. My neighbor a few building up where i live and he can only get 128kb/s (but he applied months later so i believe that was just because all the connections finished)

anyway my concern here is that am i safe to conclude as a result that the maximum speed i will be able to get is the 1mb i.e the minimum standard ? No hope for 2mb or 4mb or will they upgrade lines or was Ogero just giving BS in the first place. I guess its hard to tell but still any ideas ?

Last edited by The-MMMs (August 22 2011)

#408 August 22 2011

nuclearcat

If your line cannot do more than 256k, it will remain 256k even with new services.

#409 August 22 2011

Mr. Anderson

6 month for the changes to take effect is a very long time, i hope they can do it in a month

#410 August 22 2011

xterm

nuclearcat wrote:

If your line cannot do more than 256k, it will remain 256k even with new services.

What if I have 1Mbps already, does that indirectly mean that I can go up to 8 ?

#411 August 22 2011

Khaled

xterm wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

What if I have 1Mbps already, does that indirectly mean that I can go up to 8 ?

u cant generalize, its a personal condition here. When the thing happens, each and everyone of us will have to see if his region and connections can support the new connections. if u have a 1 MB u MAY be able to handle 8 MB and maybe not. so you will have to check with your isp

#412 August 22 2011

hussam

nuclearcat wrote:

VISP wireless/pppoe thing can handle more than 256k, correct? I do get boost to higher speeds sometimes and it's upgradable to 512 according to customer panel.

#413 August 22 2011

cedarcomnews

We will hopeful have the bill addressed tomorrow !
More and more confirmations are coming in to indicate that it is very likely that the bill will be passed tomorrow.

At a meeting August 19 with the LTA, Sodetel and TRA, Minister Nicolas Sehnaoui announced he has forwarded the draft bill to reduce fees for Internet services -- E1s and DSL packages -- to the Cabinet for consideration.
Although Telecom Minister Nicolas Sehnaoui did not reveal details of the draft bill he has sent to Cabinet, the private sector sees it as an “excellent move.”  However, leaks of the draft bill seem to have surfaced in the last few days so let us wait and see what the Cabinet finally decides.

Read more at our new blog post at http://cedarcomnews.mobi/2011/08/good-n … hnaouimtng

#414 August 22 2011

Padre

check the possible "attainable rate" from your modem's statistics

Downstream    Upstream
SNR Margin (dB):    33.8     34.3
Attenuation (dB):    8.0     0.8
Output Power (dBm):    -1.4     -5.5
Attainable Rate (Kbps):    14294     1371
Rate (Kbps):    1020     254

#415 August 22 2011

Mhmd

Mr. Nicolas Sehnaoui on his official page

We are receiving plenty of questions concerning a recent article posted in one of the Lebanese Newspapers. The assertions done in that Newspaper are false, everything has been done according to laws and regulations. Let's not waist time on political accusations but on tangible results. We have been waiting for too long. Cross your fingers a 1st Step towards digital democratization will be taken tomorrow in God's will. Hopefully another one will follow in a few months.

#416 August 22 2011

kdawg4.956

On fast lebanon's home page they said that the fourth list is for Ogero end users and the 6th is for ISPs, while others are saying the 3rd is for Ogero end users and the 6th is for ISP end users! Help me, I'm confused :S

#417 August 22 2011

Khaled

kdawg4.956 wrote:

On fast lebanon's home page they said that the fourth list is for Ogero end users and the 6th is for ISPs, while others are saying the 3rd is for Ogero end users and the 6th is for ISP end users! Help me, I'm confused :S

i will ease yr confusion ... as simple as this : wait for tomorrow's conference, all will be clear then . easy ..

#418 August 22 2011

shant

the new plans STILL SUCK
20 up and down? REALLY??
its a joke!
i swear i know someone from pakistan(you know how that country is like) and he has 10mbps with unlimited, seriously now, anyway, still waiting for upgrades

#419 August 22 2011

kdawg4.956

@Khaled that would've been a great idea if I could wait

#420 August 22 2011

Aly

shant wrote:

pakistan(you know how that country is like)

Pakistan is a Nuclear country, Lebanon is struggling to have electricity.

#421 August 22 2011

haidcar

i think the plans that we got yesterday are not accurate we have to wait till tomorrow to make sure

this is the Minster's facebook page for official updates

http://www.facebook.com/Nicolas.Sehnaoui?sk=wall

Last edited by haidcar (August 22 2011)

#422 August 22 2011

zeus

Well, Guys I guess the turtle internet delivery age has passed and now is the age of REGULAR speeds as everyone in this world,the main benefit ,I guess, is for the corporates as they are the ones who should be fighting to increase speeds in the first place!!

#423 August 22 2011

cullinan86

I dunno why, but I sent an Email to VISP support asking them about possible upgrades and new prices. That was two weeks ago, and they still haven't responded. I also asked my local distributor in Hazmieh and he completely ignored all my questions by saying:"I'll call you back", and then doesn't.
I think all ISP's are having a mourning session these days and they will try their hardest to delay any progress.
I understand how they feel: Why disturb themselves for upgrades while they can keep the "Status Quo" and earn their money the easy way.

#424 August 22 2011

kdawg4.956

I've decided to wait till tomorow thanks to Khaled, so when is the meeting going to take place?

#425 August 22 2011

hussam

cullinan86 wrote:

I dunno why, but I sent an Email to VISP support asking them about possible upgrades and new prices. That was two weeks ago, and they still haven't responded. I also asked my local distributor in Hazmieh and he completely ignored all my questions by saying:"I'll call you back", and then doesn't.
I think all ISP's are having a mourning session these days and they will try their hardest to delay any progress.
I understand how they feel: Why disturb themselves for upgrades while they can keep the "Status Quo" and earn their money the easy way.

They don't want to give you false information. They are being conservative and I don't blame them. Better wait till after tomorrow's meeting and it's results.

Board footer