LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#376 August 21 2011

kdawg4.956

Re: IMEWE cable launching in Lebanon this summer

Which company currently has the best ping may I ask? just a question...

#377 August 21 2011

Aly

kdawg4.956 wrote:

Which company currently has the best ping may I ask? just a question...

imo we should judge the ISPs after the upcoming upgrade, probably some ISPs are upgrading their networks and hardware to keep up with the new speeds.

#378 August 21 2011

kdawg4.956

@Aly I know but I just want to make an experiment for ping and see what pings will be after the new speeds...so which company do you think has the best ping?

#379 August 21 2011

jadz

guys, do you know that, when you ask your ISP for an upgrade they tell you that they have to check on the cables if it allows the requested speed? i mean if they have a problem with 512k speed, how are they gonna handle higher speeds?

#380 August 21 2011

kdawg4.956

I think they'll bring in new cables or something, I really have no idea

Last edited by kdawg4.956 (August 21 2011)

#381 August 21 2011

eurybaric

Apparently, from what i read in annahar newspaper:

-) 6-8 mbps very soon.
-) 100 mbps in 3 years when FTTH project should be complete.

question: how much time will it take for plan/price changes to effectively happen after they (hopefully) agree on them on the tuesday meeting?

#382 August 21 2011

IMEWE

September 1st

Last edited by IMEWE (August 21 2011)

#383 August 21 2011

Aly

eurybaric wrote:

question: how much time will it take for plan/price changes to effectively happen after they (hopefully) agree on them on the tuesday meeting?

يُعمل بهذا المرسوم اعتباراً من أول يوم من الشهر الذي يلي تاريخ نشره في الجريدة الرسمية

#384 August 21 2011

kdawg4.956

How come OGERO got the worst prices? I'm really frustrated because I'm an OGERO user

#385 August 21 2011

Monkey D. Luffy

kdawg4.956 wrote:

How come OGERO got the worst prices? I'm really frustrated because I'm an OGERO user

Switch (:

#386 August 21 2011

xazbrat

kdawg4.956 wrote:

Always been that way :(

I don't understand why the government sets prices and quotas for private ISP's too--why can't they just put a ceiling and let them fight it out for price and service?

#387 August 21 2011

kdawg4.956

I know what you're saying man...Lebanon :S

I don't understand why the government sets prices and quotas for private ISP's too--why can't they just put a ceiling and let them fight it out for price and service?

#388 August 21 2011

hj88

I think those are ogero prices. Private Isp's don't have business or educational prices

#389 August 21 2011

Aly

I was digging in mpt.gov.lb searching for the old decree back in 2006, and I noticed the following tables, so I made the comparison with the current tables:

2cdcpjk.jpg

rrtt81.jpg

mm3dzt.jpg

As you can see table 6 most likely means the price that the private ISPs will have to pay to MOT for each package and they will of course sell for higher price but still lower than Ogero.

Now The GOOD NEWS and correct me if I am wrong, you can notice in the 2006 decree that سقف السعة بالإتجاهين  means that allowed quota in ONE DIRECTION, as you notice in 2006 the سقف السعة بالإتجاهين of the 128k package is 2GB and we all know that the current 128k packages from Ogero and others is 2GB up + 2GB down same for the 256k, 512k ....
So I hope its true and the سقف السعة بالإتجاهين for the new packages will be 4GB up + 4 Down, 10 GB up + 10 GB down and so on ....

The old 2006 decree pdf file: http://www.mpt.gov.lb/e16852mc.pdf

Last edited by Aly (August 21 2011)

#390 August 21 2011

kdawg4.956

Then you're saying that private ISPs are going to sell them for almost 90% (according to 2006) extra to consumers but it is still going to be less than OGERO

#391 August 21 2011

azife

One major part for me is the latency  i prefer a 1mb with good latency then 10 with a 1000ms latency

#392 August 21 2011

shant

صحناوي لـ"او تي في": سرعة الانترنت في لبنان ستصبح اعتبارا من الثلاثاء اكبر بأربع او ثماني مرات والكلفة اقل بثمانين في المئة

just read that (well used google translate)
do you think we will have better internet speeds by tuesday ?

#393 August 22 2011

kdawg4.956

@azife yeh ping is also a priority for me

#394 August 22 2011

vengeance666

Latency is more important than bulk download speed , what's the point having 400kb/sec download speed and 10 000 ms ping , online applications like skype , online gaming and to some point youtube will slutter ... anyway congestion is out i guess and the bandwidth sink if fixed.. we have plenty of it so i think latency issues are somewhat history when new packages are distributed to people

#395 August 22 2011

Fernand

Latency will be fine. Come on we're talking about international state of the art cables!

#396 August 22 2011

blabsters

YAYYYYYYYY I cant wait!!! If its around a hundred thou I'm thinking (a small tiny possibility) to get the 6-8 Mbps speed or what is more like the 4 Mbps if its in the 70 thou ish range

#397 August 22 2011

Chup

THIS tuesday ?
As in tomorrow ?

#398 August 22 2011

d3ad

so, i was just wondering will these new packages translate into packages which dont need a telephone line (like mobi etc) for ppl like myself who live in rented apartments for 1-2 months and travel back and forth

#399 August 22 2011

xterm

What was said can be summarized as follows:

- Tuesday 23rd, signatures (hopefully)
- If signed, All ISPs have 1 month to change the pricing/service without user intervention.

So basically, without doing anything your connection will instantly become better within a month.

Please do not ask more about quotas/speed/price, they've been posted numerous times everywhere.

#400 August 22 2011

chosen2k

I am disappoint.

Board footer