LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 31 2011

xterm

Project - Lebanon Freelancing Portal

What started as a mere question, seemed to have generated much interest. As such, behold the first LebGeeks programming project:

Lebanon Freelancing Portal

Description

Build a portal that allows Lebanese users to post or find freelance projects of all kinds.

Purpose

Get comfortable with building web applications using Ruby on Rails

Participation

The project will undoubtedly be Open Source and the code will be hosted on github, as such not only is participation from the LebGeeks community allowed but its encouraged. The use of github will also get most of us (ones that haven't use git or ones that haven't used version control in general) comfortable with git.

Project Home

https://github.com/lebgeeks/jobs/

P.S.: The ball is rolling, the wiki is already being populated and an initial commit has been pushed. Get your environments ready.

-

Let's get some ideas rolling, but this is not going to be a mere throwing ideas here and there. In fact, by tonight we should have the repository created, an initial commit pushed and possibly even a couple of models as well. Hence, when you throw in ideas try to concretize them using pseudo, pseudo-real or real code.

Last edited by xterm (June 1 2011)

#2 May 31 2011

xterm

Re: Project - Lebanon Freelancing Portal

darklight555 wrote:

No other options then Ruby on Rails?

There has been recent interest by most members to get to know Ruby on Rails. Namely myself, ali, kassem, aymanfarhat and more.

#3 May 31 2011

darklight555

Aha and have you used RoR before?

#4 May 31 2011

ali.koubeissi

How far are we willing to go with this project? From a personal perspective, all the way (including buying a professional layout, paying for hosting ... etc ...).

What we need is a central place for brainstorming (ideas, code ... etc ...), is this possible? We also need a leader or 2 for this project. This is a must in order to keep a clear goal and to orchestrate everything. Xterm if you could do it, that would be great. This is not to give someone more weight then others. I believe any project requires a vision and someone to hold to it.

I'll be setting up my environment tonight, Ruby 1.9 and Rails 3. In terms of hosting, is it possible to go the heroku path?

I'm sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, I tend to do that a lot !

#5 May 31 2011

darklight555

I am willing to go all the way as well. For brainstorming, how about we create a facebook group?

#6 May 31 2011

samer
Admin

– Are we building a simplistic job board (i.e., "looking for a freelancer" and "offering a freelance gig") or a full-fledged one like eLance?
– What are the core features?
– Are you guys okay with using git? I have a git repo up on https://github.com/lebgeeks/jobs

#7 May 31 2011

darklight555

This is my github user: darklight555, and I have experience using git.

#8 May 31 2011

xterm

The intention of this project is to have everyone comfortable with building a web application in RoR from A to Z. So the project will be fully implemented to the utmost extent. The only difference is, we're not dealing with the entire picture at first, it's going to evolve over time. The exposure that developers will get is the following:

1- Using Ruby and Ruby on Rails
2- Working in a team (remotely)
3- Using a distributed version control system
4- Dealing with ever changing requirements
5- Driving an application from start to deployment
6- and more...

There's no reason as to why anyone wouldn't want to get involved, we're assuming (and this is very important) that no one has any knowledge of the above and thus everyone will benefit from contributing one way or the other.

In terms of technical requirements:

We're going for the latest and greatest, meaning latest stable Ruby and Rails.
We're going for github (simply for github exposure) but the deployment will be remote on heroku (simply for heroku exposure)

In terms of leads:

I'd like to make it a vote. Personally my choice for requirements lead would be Samer, if you remember during the meeting, one of his goals is to become an entrepreneur and one of the important aspects is building requirements. In terms of technical lead, I'd much rather have ali.

Additionally, given that we're all labeled as "beginners" in this project, I would love it if Zef or cnicolaou would supervise the implementation and suggest enhancements or fixes, but not contribute to the project as they are already expert rails developers.

In terms of project requirements, this comes next.

#9 May 31 2011

Kassem

So who's going to assign roles and tasks? xterm?

#10 May 31 2011

xterm

Honestly, the reason as to why i do not want to take any leading role in this whatsoever, is because I do this on a day to day basis and I really miss sitting in the back and just writing code. So please please excuse me for not stepping up.

#11 May 31 2011

Zef

I think this is a great idea and I'd be happy to help out!

To start out, I suggest that we use the GitHub issues page to organize and assign tasks. If someone has an idea they can post it there and people can discuss it to decide what will happen and where to go next. You can categorize each issue accordingly and close them when they are implemented or dropped.

I'll gladly provide support/guidance if people are interested.

Regarding some things mentioned above:

Ali: Heroku is a great place to start for deployment and we can easily decide where to go from there once we grow out of the basic free plan.

Samer: Regarding features I think you should keep it very simple to start with. Here's are two basic and effective job sites:

http://jobs.37signals.com/
http://toprubyjobs.com/

Start with something like that, but probably with less focus on filtering since you are starting from scratch and there won't be much to filter.

#12 May 31 2011

saeidw

Hey guys, this looks really cool and I'd definitely like to contribute (*cough*learnRuby*cough*). I'll set up an RoR environment on my system tonight.

samer wrote:

– What are the core features?

We can start generating user stories that might help us better define what the features of the board will be.

#13 May 31 2011

J4D

Ill supervise and nag. that's what i do best  And of course like i said earlier, Ill be setting up the domain and hosting for this once we agree on a name :)

#14 May 31 2011

samer
Admin

We can start generating user stories that might help us better define what the features of the board will be.

Good idea:

• User should be able to add a job offer
• User should be able to apply for a job
• User can browse offers

Models needed so far: Job

Controller actions:

show all job listings    /jobs/
add a job listing        /jobs/new
show job with id 1    /jobs/1
edit job with id 1        /jobs/1/edit
delete job with id 1    /jobs/1/delete

needed: pagination, we can use the will_paginate gem.

#15 May 31 2011

darklight555

A couple of questions guys:

-Which IDEs/Servers you use for RoR?
-The website will be completely free, ad-supported... ?

#16 May 31 2011

samer
Admin

darklight555 wrote:

A couple of questions guys:

-Which IDEs/Servers you use for RoR?
-The website will be completely free, ad-supported... ?

Check out this topic.
This is starting out as an educational project rather than monetization in mind.
Our costs are zero anyway (github and heroku's free plan are enough for our needs).

#17 May 31 2011

darklight555

Okey cool!

#18 May 31 2011

rtp

I want to help out

I know php...

So I will start learning RoR ^_^

#19 May 31 2011

m0ei

I can join, i'll start RoR and Ruby tomorrow.

#20 May 31 2011

samer
Admin

You can track the commits here: https://github.com/lebgeeks/jobs/commits/master

#21 May 31 2011

rtp

can anybody explain to me how does this work...

who add tasks and where can i find tasks and how to upload and add the project and who checks if what i did is proper etc...

#22 May 31 2011

xterm

• User should be able to add a job offer
•• User doesn't need a profile to post a job offer until he reaches the last step of the 'wizard'
• User can browse offers
•• Anonymous browsing is allowed, price/salary is not shown when anonymous
•• User should be able to apply for a job, must be logged in

Models needed so far:

Job

Specification

- Title : text, required
- Description: text, required
- Type : [Freelance, Part-time, full-time] (select one), required
- CompensationRange: [min,max] (salary or price), required
- Currency : text len(3), required
- Vacancies : numeric, required

Relationships

- belongs_to : Poster -> TBD
- has_many : Comments -> TBD

Controller Actions:

show all job listings    /jobs/
add a job listing        /jobs/new
show job with id 1    /jobs/1
edit job with id 1        /jobs/1/edit
delete job with id 1    /jobs/1/delete

#23 May 31 2011

samer
Admin

omar, let's collaborate on github.

#24 May 31 2011

omar_killer

hi guys,sorry for this nooby question,as I could understand,this website is for part-time jobs?

example: I'am a 16 years old guy,that just finished school,could I find a job that suits me here?

#25 June 1 2011

Ghaleb

I do not know if this have been discussed before but do you think that using a Scrum methodology will be beneficial ? I can recommend an open source Scrum tool: Kunagi

Last edited by Ghaleb (June 1 2011)

Board footer