LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 20 2011

al_jamal

Racist lebanon

http://ethiopiansuicides.blogspot.com/2 … t-and.html

what do you think, how can this be changed?

i mean most lebanese live abroad, how can they be hating immigrants while most family members might be some too since they left their country too :-/

#2 April 20 2011

hussam

Re: Racist lebanon

Lack of humility and empathy.

#3 April 20 2011

Tarek
Banned

why do they keep coming back then?hungry and poor ..work somewhere else

#4 April 20 2011

jsaade

reminds me of siff el 3abbed and ras el 3abbed :)

#5 April 20 2011

rolf

The same reason we have no 24h electricity, for decades now, loud cars go around neighborhood annoying everyone... stray dogs barks all night long... we don't have a government... and who is responsible for all that? why?

#6 April 20 2011

xazbrat

If it makes you feel better (it doesn't to me), it seems that a lot of people in the middle east are racist.  I lived in Saudi Arabia for a time and the way they abuse other people, especially from Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Philippines, etc is endemic and unfortunately reflective of arab societies.  The gulf states can hide it with money--in countries without money, they have to deal with the shame.

It also goes on in other ways like tribe vs tribe or family vs family.  This isn't reflective of government; this is something much deeper in society.

#7 April 20 2011

nuclearcat

Cultures is different, and if there is big gap in mentalities - it will happen. It is also normal reaction for nation(in biological naming - breed), to keep genetic identity of specific breed and avoid interbreeding.

Sorry to say, but chinese people is worse racists than Lebanese. I was in china, and one my russian friend was with me, bad luck for chinese he knew chinese language very well. He was translating what chinese was talking about lebanese and other europeans, it was just terrible. They have even special word "laowai" for foreigners, and this word usually is used not in good meaning. Same word most of asian nations have too (at least koreans also mostly hostile for foreigners), japan even have this word, but it is not bad as other nations, but they reject ofter foreigners too. Lebanon, even it is in Asia - more friendly for foreigners than any other nation, because Lebanese living in small country with very many religions and nations, and they got used to that. Even they dont like that.

Another example cypriots. They also got used that russians do for them other work (including hi-tech), and clearly disrespected us. We pay them same, and thats why i left Cyprus.
Lebanese on my opinion threat person respectively to person achievements. If majority of ukrainian girls work here as "dancers" - they threat moldovian and ukrainian girls as "dancers", but good that many of them also good wives, so there is not much disrespect, and it is IMHO mistake of my nation too in some matter. If i am engineer - i feel much more respect than in my own country. If sri-lanka and african people (majority) coming here is doing dirty work, and not very clever - well, they will threat them such way.

Take a look also to Europe and US, what is usual attribute of "black district"? Crime and poverty. Because of discrimination? Hell no. They are in good country long time ago and laws protect this days them more than caucasian people, but still they do crime and poverty. I was reading some research, which explains, why nations from cold north more intelligent and more calm, and it was explaining why "south" races is too much impulsive and sometimes primitive. In short - races on good climate always have food, that easy to hunt, and they cannot store it for long time and make some planning this way because it rot fast, north races had difficulties to hunt at winter but they can store meat in cold places for longer time and make some planning by that.
Call me racist, but each race has genetic weakness. My race, Slovenians have also funny history. This name born from "slaves". Genetically it forms to some extent some details in person character.

Maybe i will look like racist, but some story, when i was at Cyprus. I was visiting some park at weekends... it was very nice place at Cyprus. One day there was holiday for philipini people... and i went same day to that park. Oh my god... what i seen. They was laying everywhere, even on walking places, throwing trash everywhere and place just was looking as trash bin. It was terrible... next day, sure it was clean, but for me it was shocking, because i know cypriots respect cleanliness. Maybe it is OK for them, but they are not at their home, and they should respect place they live. They didn't.

P.S. In arab world i see also terrible things, piles of trash near houses, and apartments of people inside is very fancy and clean. It is just very disguising for me to see that, but i notice many people even doesn't understand how bad it is, and maybe for them it is normal. Different mentalities... i dont have such fancy house and maybe i dont keep it very clean as lebanese, but i will never throw trash on the street or just outside my balcony.
Out of subject: I notice also here discussion about haemangiomas. I read few researches, and i just see around what happening, you have really serious trouble with this trash guys, and as result water pollution. Such genetic disorders i've seen only once, in city near nuclear plant, and in China. I suspect also maybe farmers that is growing vegetables here - using some chemicals, but i dont know where to get kits to do more detailed analyses.

And sure dumb people remains, who dont see beyond their nose. This is an example about raping maid girl... it can happen in any country, and any nation can do such things. Each nation also have weak points... can you imagine child prostitution as a trend in Lebanon? I think person who

So there is no racism imho, it is just conflict of different races. And dont give too much power for foreigners, (including me :) ), it is your country and your home, and you should protect it. In modern world some races breed like cockroaches, flee from place they ruin (and that become poor) to more good countries and ruin that countries too.

Last edited by nuclearcat (April 20 2011)

#8 April 20 2011

forgotten

Racism is not a local problem it happens everywhere.  I have encountered everywhere I went ,in Africa in Germany in France ,in Spain,malta simply everywhere . It is the product of lacking knowledge and respect .Most of the people who are  real racists not the type which only repeats some stuff they heard the real deal , they search for simple solutions to overcome their frustration on the backs of somebody else. In a nutshell they are simply dumb and selfish that`s all . How to fight them just ignore them and their trash talk.

#9 April 20 2011

hussam

I moved last year to a new place in Beirut. As a foreigner, it took me a while to find a nice big place in an "upscale neighborhood". I was happy and the area was nice, quiet and convenient. But little by little, I started to find out some not so nice things about my neighbors. In one of families in this neighborhood, a young lady left after university to the US. Eventually she married a black man. She told her parents she got married to this freakishly rich guy. They were happy till they found out he was black. Her mother cried for weeks. Being rich now, she started sending her family nice sums of money each month. That didn't really help the situation much and her mother started telling people that she now dreads the fact that her daughter may eventually give birth to a black child.
A few weeks ago, she recieved a call in the middle of the night from her daughter where she found out her daughter is now pregnant. She hasn't stopped crying ever since.
This is the 21st century. This sort of behavior should not be happening anywhere.

#10 April 20 2011

nuclearcat

From your explanation both looks wrong.
Girl marry just cause he is rich?
Her mother, well, she must be proud of her daughter choice, not color or taste of her husband. Same about grandchildren.
Just daughter living in different society and became different. Moral standards in Lebanon says that parents, if they want for their daughter good future - should find husband from same religion even. Otherwise life of girl will be difficult in Lebanon... and poor woman just feel that by heart, and heart cannot understand her daughter live in "another world". Sure another reason maybe because she is ashame that everybody will laugh from her, as bad mother, that her daugther ... , but this looks too much selfish, if it is true.

Btw, many russians disrespect russian girls who marry lebanese, if they dont know them personally. We say "He's not out of our sandbox". I told before it is normal genetic program.

Last edited by nuclearcat (April 20 2011)

#11 April 20 2011

nuclearcat

Everybody who think he is not racist, you will be happy if your daughter will marry any of those guys? :-)

http://darlingnikki73.files.wordpress.c … ly_guy.jpg
http://www.drainthatbrain.com/wp-conten … ly_man.jpg
http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww20 … 275568.jpg

#12 April 20 2011

rolf

hussam wrote:

A few weeks ago, she recieved a call in the middle of the night from her daughter where she found out her daughter is now pregnant. She hasn't stopped crying ever since.

Seriously... I know someone in my distant family who wanted to marry a muslim man. Her mother threatened to kill herself! She did not marry him after all, and now is with another guy. There might be more to the story, maybe he was not so good after all... but anyway seriously, what can I say... let her cry!
Either she is retarded, or has medieval mindset, or is just trying to do emotional manipulation on her daughter for god knows what reason, or there is more to it then we know...

nuclearcat wrote:

Holy... these are freaks!

#13 April 20 2011

hussam

nuclearcat wrote:

Nuclearcat, there are ugly folks in all races (not that there is something wrong with being ugly if it's how god created us).

Also I'm "stupid man". If a girl has a pretty face and is generally good looking, I don't give a rat's ass if she's purple or green.

#14 April 21 2011

rolf

nuclearcat wrote:

Sorry to say, but chinese people is worse racists than Lebanese. I was in china, and one my russian friend was with me, bad luck for chinese he knew chinese language very well. He was translating what chinese was talking about lebanese and other europeans, it was just terrible. They have even special word "laowai" for foreigners, and this word usually is used not in good meaning. Same word most of asian nations have too (at least koreans also mostly hostile for foreigners), japan even have this word, but it is not bad as other nations, but they reject ofter foreigners too. Lebanon, even it is in Asia - more friendly for foreigners than any other nation, because Lebanese living in small country with very many religions and nations, and they got used to that. Even they dont like that.

I have read about that too. And have also experienced some of it personally. They're very insensitive when it comes to that. True conversation (although I forgot the details):

- Do you like I.?
- Do I like him?? Of course not!
- Why not?
- Because he's black!!!!

I have to say, some asian girls, and korean girls especially are really beautiful. They say every race has beauty and ugliness, but this is something else I think.

#15 April 21 2011

al_jamal

"nice" replies all

but i want understand how a folk/people/nation can be "racist" or against "foreigners" while 75% of its own folks live abroad and are freigners too

it just dont gets into my head

#16 April 21 2011

al_jamal

Tarek wrote:

why do they keep coming back then?hungry and poor ..work somewhere else

pray that you never get into a situation where you have to leave your country to feed your family and then get confronted like they are confronted in lebanon

#17 April 21 2011

Tarek
Banned

then i must keep my mouth shut and work like an animal..( even though we are doing it in our country )

#18 April 21 2011

rolf

Tarek wrote:

then i must keep my mouth shut and work like an animal..( even though we are doing it in our country )

Like that's not what they're doing? and what if someone takes away your passport, does not pay the sum promised, although you paid thousands to get there? What if - being a woman - your are mistreated, beaten, raped, and don't know who to turn to for help??

It's all in a video posted on the Ethiopian suicide blog, I think you can find it somewhere on this thread.

And with all that they are keeping their mouth shut. But some people are not, and try to do something to help them.

#19 April 21 2011

xterm

This is no news. Not in lebanon, not in any other country. Racism is available everywhere, it's how you deal with people in your daily lives that matters.

-

Now concerning the house workers. There's abuse, there's lots of abuse. I seriously wish the government would protect these workers by issuing a new law that forbids such abuse. On a side note, you have to also understand that this is not everywhere as well in lebanon. My wife and I had contracted an Ethiopian house worker, she's so happy that when I joke around with her and tell her "Yalla, let's go to Ethiopia" she says "No, I want to stay here with madam and baby". I've spent over 5000USD remodeling the kitchen and whatnot, so that i could create a decent environment for her to live in. We treat her like one of the family and she understands her duties and responsibilities. We treat her well, she treats us well, we all live in harmony. Every night that my wife and I get back from work she'd be eagerly awaiting our arrival. She hugs my wife and welcomes her back. We've made sure that she understands that her stay with us is not just beneficial for us, but to her as well. We set a routine for her to follow in terms of hygene and she's grateful for it. I got her two dictionaries (amharic-english, amharic-arabic) and every night before bed time she studies the fundamentals that we've highlighted. She's acquiring skills very fast because we've made sure that she understands that her stay with us must be as fruitful as possible to her. At one point my son had diarrhea, when i got home she was crying her eyes out, not knowing what was wrong. She gets to contact her parents whenever she wants because we understand how hard it is, and yet, she only chooses to call them every other sunday at night.

So my dear friends, don't be too eager to generalize. Some people are bad, some are good.

#20 April 21 2011

J4D

xterm wrote:

Now concerning the house workers. There's abuse, there's lots of abuse. I seriously wish the government would protect these workers by issuing a new law that forbids such abuse. On a side note, you have to also understand that this is not everywhere as well in lebanon. My wife and I had contracted an Ethiopian house worker, she's so happy that when I joke around with her and tell her "Yalla, let's go to Ethiopia" she says "No, I want to stay here with madam and baby". I've spent over 5000USD remodeling the kitchen and whatnot, so that i could create a decent environment for her to live in. We treat her like one of the family and she understands her duties and responsibilities. We treat her well, she treats us well, we all live in harmony. Every night that my wife and I get back from work she'd be eagerly awaiting our arrival. She hugs my wife and welcomes her back. We've made sure that she understands that her stay with us is not just beneficial for us, but to her as well. We set a routine for her to follow in terms of hygene and she's grateful for it. I got her two books (programming for dummies and Advanced JAVA) and every night before bed time she studies the fundamentals of object oriented programming. She's acquiring skills very fast and now can make advanced programs that automate her tasks. At one point my son had diarrhea, when i got home she was crying her eyes out, not knowing what was wrong. She gets to contact her parents whenever she wants because we understand how hard it is, and yet, she only chooses to call them every other sunday at night.

So my dear friends, don't be too eager to generalize. Some people are bad, some are good.

>.<

Edit: Sorry, had to

Last edited by J4D (April 21 2011)

#21 April 21 2011

xterm

J4D wrote:

>.<

Edit: Sorry, had to

Haha!

#22 April 21 2011

rolf

Seriously :-) you could teach her programming and she will probably be forever grateful :-) But you probably do not have the time - and that's if she is receptive and has the capacity...
It's just an idea I had a while ago... why not take these very-lowly-paid workers and teach them some high level skills like programming.
And I also wanted to know, who you're talking to when you say "don't generalize?".
BTW congrats on your environment at home. There's one thing though... she might not want to stay forever, nor you might want to keep her forever... that is the question that often gets me thinking for these people. But maybe it's OK after all... and learning her language did sound a bit over the top, but then, again, is there anything such as too much good? Maybe not.

#23 April 21 2011

xterm

rolf wrote:

And I also wanted to know, who you're talking to when you say "don't generalize?".

No one in particular.

rolf wrote:

BTW congrats on your environment at home. There's one thing though... she might not want to stay forever, nor you might want to keep her forever... that is the question that often gets me thinking for these people. But maybe it's OK after all...

It's no loss, we remodeled the kitchen/balcony in a suitable way. If she leaves we can still use it.

and learning her language did sound a bit over the top, but then, again, is there anything such as too much good? Maybe not.

I'm not learning her language, she's learning english and arabic. When she doesn't understand something, she gets me the book and i point the definition. The funny thing is, she always says that my 6 months old son will start speaking arabic before she does.

#24 April 21 2011

rolf

xterm wrote:
rolf wrote:

BTW congrats on your environment at home. There's one thing though... she might not want to stay forever, nor you might want to keep her forever... that is the question that often gets me thinking for these people. But maybe it's OK after all...

It's no loss, we remodeled the kitchen/balcony in a suitable way. If she leaves we can still use it.

That's not what I meant. (Of course the kitchen will stay, she's not going to take her with her :-D ) I just meant on an "emotional" level, if she considers this to be her family, and if you also get used to her... It's something that has always been a question mark in my head... maids are treated like family as long as they are here, but then they take a ticket and leave and they're not family anymore (until they come back, if they ever do!). How do they live this? And how does it affect us, although nobody ever talks of this?

rolf wrote:

and learning her language did sound a bit over the top, but then, again, is there anything such as too much good? Maybe not.

I'm not learning her language, she's learning english and arabic. When she doesn't understand something, she gets me the book and i point the definition. The funny thing is, she always says that my 6 months old son will start speaking arabic before she does.

Ok sorry, I did pay enough attention, I just saw a mention of amharic and I thought you were trying to learn the language!

#25 April 21 2011

xterm

rolf wrote:

I just meant on an "emotional" level, if she considers this to be her family, and if you also get used to her... It's something that has always been a question mark in my head... maids are treated like family as long as they are here, but then they take a ticket and leave and they're not family anymore (until they come back, if they ever do!). How do they live this? And how does it affect us, although nobody ever talks of this?

Good question. I'll tell you when she leaves :-)

Board footer