LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 5 2010

kareem_nasser

Your Opinion on university in Lebanon

We Lebanese like to show off but lets be more radical about the universities here and let it be ALL of them.
When we talk universities in Lebanon we say AUB, LAU but the truth IMO is the student not the university, and the same thing for school the school doesn't nourish us life does. In Lebanon schools have a lot of negative impact on the student same goes to universities. Most of us here think that we'll just take the degree and travel or just stick it to a wall while i work something else unrelated to my major. This is true (engineers being an exception, somehow) you may even get in a cab where the driver is a mechanical engineer and it happened to me. Speaking of engineers we have an excess in engineers above our national need. WHY??===PRESTIGE!!

#2 April 5 2010

rolf

Re: Your Opinion on university in Lebanon

I just have one thing to say
NDU != No Dares University

#3 April 5 2010

kareem_nasser

LOL why?

#4 April 5 2010

WizaRd

Netfet Dares University  ?

#5 April 5 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

BAU : Big and Ugly

#6 April 5 2010

Flakk

NDU = N2ebir dfa3 university

#7 April 5 2010

GN90

NDU = No dares university

#8 April 5 2010

Kareem

It's not about what they teach you, but how they teach you. Most high ranked universities teach you how to deal and how to communicate, what to do and when to do. Once you graduate, trust me you will barely remember any of the courses you've been studying expect maybe programming/networking/ few math equations.. Reason why most companies do not really care about what you've studied, but where you've studied; they need people with high analytical/commucation as they will have to learn many new things which could be completely unrelated to anything you've seen before... at least in the telecom field.

#9 April 5 2010

kareem_nasser

lol what is wrong with NDU guys.

#10 April 5 2010

Kareem

kareem_nasser wrote:

I have a colleague that graduated from NDU, worked for Cisco and then at NSN... It's just that people like making fun of it, you know.. students usually call it n*** dross university...

#11 April 5 2010

kareem_nasser

Kareem wrote:

It's not about what they teach you, but how they teach you. Most high ranked universities teach you how to deal and how to communicate, what to do and when to do. Once you graduate, trust me you will barely remember any of the courses you've been studying expect maybe programming/networking/ few math equations.. Reason why most companies do not really care about what you've studied, but where you've studied; they need people with high analytical/commucation as they will have to learn many new things which could be completely unrelated to anything you've seen before... at least in the telecom field.

So we should basically teach our student how does work life go not just stupid theories. As for the courses i am 2nd year and i forgot all what i have taken last year. :(

#12 April 5 2010

Kareem

kareem_nasser wrote:
Kareem wrote:

So we should basically teach our student how does work life go not just stupid theories. As for the courses i am 2nd year and i forgot all what i have taken last year. :(

Few intensive english courses will help definitevly

#13 April 5 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

Kareem wrote:

Few intensive english courses will help definitevly

Correct : Few intensive english courses will definitively help

#14 April 5 2010

kareem_nasser

lol why?

#15 April 5 2010

xterm

kareem_nasser wrote:

Incorrect, theory is just as if not more important than practice.

#16 April 5 2010

kareem_nasser

let me make myself clear: what i meant is that in Lebanon a teacher sticks to the retarded curriculum that is ages old and is completely not complaint to the university systems which adopt US systems while the teacher were taught from the old Lebanese system. I know they are taking courses to update themselves but the questions are:
1- Are these courses that teachers take politically driven? Considering that EVERYTHING in Lebanon is politically driven(Even the internet).
2- Who or which companies organize such stuff; is it public or private?
3- Are the certificates that they take when they finish such courses REALLY agreed upon on international standards?
4- Were the societies(their neighborhood for example) of the teachers studied so that they can accept such new ideas and topics in the courses?

#17 April 5 2010

Ayman

Incorrect, theory is just as if not more important than practice.

Agree, both are important factors for success in almost any field. After all, how can you practice i.e. apply if you don't know the theory? ;)

#18 April 5 2010

kareem_nasser

Everyone here is majoring in scientific fields so i am with you about the theory part but not all majors. The teacher just talks, talks and talks then he closes the book bye bye he/she is gone and then they say that we teachers stay till the end of the period just for your own benefit. Guys in the US they started using Games(simulations specifically) to teach future pilots and in the army too(still think of video games as childish while we can make millions from them). If we'll not have that(of course not) then at least give us a decent Social studies book(not history book) that is unified and if someone doesn't like it well it should be a government decision so the public will just adapt and with time the way we think will change.Or we can do it in reverse and change how we think then in time our generation reaches the governmental positions(hopefully) we will change everything.

#19 April 5 2010

GN90

kareem_nasser wrote:

Nothing related to NDU, its just what we used to call this uni back in school days , I'm surprised you never herd them .
and lol the n*** dross university is new to me

let me make myself clear: what i meant is that in Lebanon a teacher sticks to the retarded curriculum that is ages old and is completely not complaint to the university systems which adopt US systems while the teacher were taught from the old Lebanese system. I know they are taking courses to update themselves

well its not true that teachers in Lebanon sticks to retarded curriculum at least in the big unis we have here such as AUB, USJ, UL, LAU, and those , .... . docs are obliged to update the curriculum and the courses they teach each year. I'm in UL and we see changes in the courses each year (mostly in the CS courses) . And some students in class got the functional programing course from last year's students and i don't wanna tell you how much the doc updated in the course, as we are using a newer version of LISP he added some new functions available and made some points clearer and during his explanation in class he tell us : this function for example was not available in older version, we use to do bla bla bla in order to make it.
and Politics, for sure there are and its not a bad thing but the bad thing is what students make and act blindly in a stupid way.
most of the DOC is these uni's if not all have either diploma's form France or the US and they have a big work experience so i don't think they are stupid or not qualified.

For me i think uni's in lebanon have a big potential and they are underrated by the pple because they can't trust anything in this fucking country, the government should put a big budget for uni's to let them make more advanced research because we are able to handle it.

but what is very very very bad is the quality of the students (that may in an indirect way affect the uni level), not the teachers and unis . The Lebanese high school program is very stupid and put limit to the kid's mind and make him not able to think on his own . While philosophy, history and geography should be used to make the student a better critic and analyzer they are given in a way to make him a better parrot. As for the scientific courses in schools they are strong, and harder than the bac francais but they are pure theory and the exercises they give in books and exams doesn't make any scenes to the students while in bac francais for example the teacher used to  explain the regular theory that you all know but the exercises where much more fun , none is similar to another and you have to understand the theory and apply to solve the exercise and in the end you will deduce something not given in the course. This made us more interested and less "borne". Plus we had a scientific research/project to do and lab tests . I took here the example of the bac francais just to show how much the Lebanese program is retarded and "borne" and doesn't set students on the right track for uni's where he should work on his own and understand how the apply the theory they give him and analyze problems to get to the solution.

Last edited by GN90 (April 5 2010)

#20 April 5 2010

kareem_nasser

So you are with me that the students effect the university and school's reputation. Also the fact that the gov should spend more on education is crucial but when you talk about LAU and AUB which are not available to everyone is a bad disadvantage(i know private universities in foreign countries are more expensive than here but the public universities can compete with ease).

We change change our classical thinking about our education that it is the best because it is hard but excuse me i cant agree with you on that, to say the truth everyone i know thinks that way even my parents and i fight about it always: that harder education=the best education in the world. Once i have read an article about the best scores around the globe and the only Arab country that was able to make it to the top 100 is Qatar(sorry i don't remember which grade or year but it was on Math and Sciences).
Check those links for more info plz:
http://timss.bc.edu/TIMSS2007/countries.html
http://timss.bc.edu/timss2011/countries.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trends_in_ … ence_Study

Last edited by kareem_nasser (April 5 2010)

#21 April 5 2010

Kassem

I am in UL too (Hadath) and I tell you most of the doctors here are top quality. On the other hand, there are doctors (well, they claim to be) who deserve being locked in a cage with other creatures who have their similar pathetic IQ levels like them.

I agree with GN90 that the problem is mainly in high school. I can't remember anything I was taught in school and I consider it nothing but a waste of time. Materials taught in school are so much different from that in uni's.

In addition to the high school crisis, there's definitely the government's failure. They RARELY invest in any academic programs/researches... etc. The UL still needs alot of improvement when it comes to customer-support (or in this case student-support).

Never the less, Lebanese uni's are probably the best in the region. But the only good ones in Lebanon are AUB, USJ and UL.

#22 April 5 2010

Kassem

@ kareem_nasser: do not under-estimate the Lebanese University. It has a bad reputation, yes. But why? Simply because ONLY those with brains can survive there. That's why most of those who take entrance exams at UL and fail end up in LIU or BAU where they can EASILY pass with high GPA's.

#23 April 5 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

Kassem wrote:

fail end up in LIU or BAU where they can EASILY pass with high GPA's.

Excuse me but you mentioned BAU as an easy university to go in , well two of my friends tried to enter bau and both have failed one of them entered Balamand and the other one continued science in bau , for example I tried to enter LAU and BAU and both i was accepted in i preferred BAU for one reason i don't want to drive into Jbeil next year until further more i was tricked and BAU has changed it's location to Debiye :( and the nightmares began , anyway take my advice if you are genius etc and can keep track of your studies go on and enter BAU as Communication engineering it's the most difficult Major in BAU , anything else i don't know and don't underestimate these words !

#24 April 5 2010

Kassem

@ Aj_BlaZ: the ONLY major BAU is good at is engineering. But still, it could never match UL's proficiency in this major or any other major for that matter. Actually, I did take the BAU entrance exam along with the UL entrance exam. When I knew I was accepted in UL I didn't even bother to check my score in BAU, but then my friend who got accepted in BAU and failed to enter UL told me that I got full score on BAU's entrance exam. Seriously, what's so hard about a multiple choice English exam? They SHOULD include a math exam in the admission test.

On a side note, my cousin is doing business in BAU and he said that over the past month the administration has been very strict and alot of changes are going on. So hopefully BAU would return back to being a good university like it used to be.

#25 April 5 2010

xterm

UL is by far the toughest university in Lebanon unlike the joke of colleges that the rest are.

Board footer