LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 28 2006

royal_titanium

IDM SUCKS !!! (caps)

I called IDM support center 5mins ago and they told me that I can't run a webserver from my computer with a broadband connection (I have broadband )
:'(  :'(  :'(

All of them are like that ?

#2 April 28 2006

Re: IDM SUCKS !!! (caps)

Well what was there reason?

Is it their policy or it will use up all your bandwidth or is it too slow?

#3 April 28 2006

rolf

royal_titanium wrote:

I called IDM support center 5mins ago and they told me that I can't run a webserver from my computer with a broadband connection (I have broadband )
:'(  :'(  :'(

All of them are like that ?

Hello! Duh!
Yeah they suck, you havent seen a thing yet. Be happy that sh*** connection works from time to time.

The reason why is that they give you a private IP which is not accessible from the net, so no you cant run any kind of server.

See if VISP can give you a public IP.

#4 April 28 2006

mahdoum

I beg to differ about IDM (maybe cause I've got a 'special' connection) but i have a 128 and it's connection is always 100% up and downloading at a steady 14.3-14.8 kb/s steady rate....

#5 April 29 2006

battikh

well technically you do can run a webserver....but it wont be accessible from the internet
i have bradband with terranet, it;s the same, none of them gives public IPs. And it's mainly due to GDS who makes the infrasture, IDM, terra,.. only give you the interet connection.

#6 April 30 2006

royal_titanium

so GDS is blocking ports ?
if yes can't I try port 81 ?

go to www.tzo.com check if it works with them.

#7 April 30 2006

rolf

royal_titanium wrote:

so GDS is blocking ports ?
if yes can't I try port 81 ?

go to www.tzo.com check if it works with them.

It's not about blocking ports you have a private ip, not a public ip.
Your ip is something like 192.168.100.12 (example)
all your request go through a NAT firewall. To find the IP of your firewall check online tools pages as find my ip, etc...

you cannot communicate with other computers on the internet using the 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x ip ranges because these ranges are reserved for private use in local networks.

So in other words, your name is john, but you cannot communicate with anyone under this name because John is suppopsedly dead. So this is what happens if john wants to send a message to jill.

John sends a message to Alfred

Alfred gets the message and sends the message to jill under his name

Jill gets the message and answers, thinking it's a message from Alfred

Alfred gets back the answer and forwards it to john.

This is close to what happens to your IP packets with the differece that the process with the IP packets is totally transparent, in other words alfred intercepts John's messages and changes messages without either John or Jill knowing.

Hey look it up on google
it's called "transparent NAT"

The aim of all that shebang is to use only one public ip for several computers, because public IP's are expensive. But the real aim in this case is just to piss us off.

#8 April 30 2006

royal_titanium

I understand, thanks.

aaghh this sucks !! they are "NAWAR" lol

#9 April 30 2006

nuclearcat

I think as an option we can provide at VISP static real IP.
Another thing, in near future we can provide also hosting for our customers.
You need to host files or it must be only webserver? Coz files - more easy to have on hosting, anyways broadband upload is sucks, but if you need to debug some scripts... then yes, u need to have static "real" IP.

#10 May 1 2006

rolf

nuclearcat, I need upload, can you help me?
We have a small company and we'll be needing some good upload at least 64k to send files to some new clients in europe.
I have called VISP but we cant afford the $800 and more of a dedicated connection. The closest solution would be ISDN but that looks pretty expensive too
Do you have any miracle solution?

#11 May 1 2006

royal_titanium

only webserver.
can someone explain to me more whats a VISP. I googled it and it looks very expensive

#12 May 1 2006

rolf

VISP is just another lebanese ISP
www.visp.net.lb

#13 May 1 2006

royal_titanium

I am thinking of switching to VISP.lb, tell me is it good (their broadband) ?

I like their gaming zone...

#14 May 1 2006

rolf

mahdoum wrote:

I beg to differ about IDM (maybe cause I've got a 'special' connection)

What sort of special connection is that?

#15 May 1 2006

royal_titanium

lol I talked to VISP (phone) 5 minutes ago and they said something... (setion limitation [10]).... You will use a lot of bandwith... it looks like I can't run my own webserver.

Anyone says that it is allowed ?

#16 May 2 2006

nuclearcat

On VISP as i know there is no special session limitation. I put some safety limits, cause some customers getting viruses and it is just to avoid DoS.
At VISP if you buy SOHO account - you already have real IP. Cheap accounts - you dont have for now, but this option planned to be available.
For connection over GDS - we plan to give real IP's, i am not sure is it a "must" for all kind of accounts, but i think we will not block webserver, and limit will be only your tariff plan speed.

About upload 64k, well, $800 seems is too much for that number, if it's just to upload files. You need to upload files at specific time or it is possible at night (not at peak times)? If it possible at night, we can try to make some special kind of account, which will let you to have higher speed at night. Because if you want high speed at peak time, yes, it will cost $$$, but at night - it is possible to make some good discount.

#17 May 2 2006

nuclearcat

Btw. We have customers working over GDS wireless. I cannot say, i am happy how it is running. I will do more analysis, but seems same type of our DSL customers (the same speeds), much more happy than GDS one. Maybe because on DSL we run our own QoS system.

#18 May 2 2006

rolf

nuclearcat wrote:

About upload 64k, well, $800 seems is too much for that number, if it's just to upload files. You need to upload files at specific time or it is possible at night (not at peak times)?

Usually we upload during the day, but I think the files can wait for the night.
There's not so much volume, but from time to time (once every week or two) we have big files like 10-20 megabytes to send.

#19 May 2 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Royal_Titanium, did IDM explain to you why _exactly_ you can not run a webserver on your PC?

1. You do not have a real IP address?  In such a case, they should provide you with a static or dynamic real IP address for some small monthly/anually fee.

2. Their company policy does not allow it?

3. Something else?

Lets first understand the reason.

#20 May 2 2006

nuclearcat

10-20 megabytes is peanuts... nothing
last time one of our customers asked us to help him upload 600MB to our web-server
done less than 30 minutes, but it was manual upload
possible we need to make some special solution, for example if we give you space on our hosting, and ftp access, it will fit your needs? because if you need to give this 20 megs to 10 people - from lebanon it will be 200 megs... if you use hosting - 20 meg from leb, and rest 200 from hosting in usa

#21 May 2 2006

zis

nuclearcat wrote:

Btw. We have customers working over GDS wireless. I cannot say, i am happy how it is running. I will do more analysis, but seems same type of our DSL customers (the same speeds), much more happy than GDS one. Maybe because on DSL we run our own QoS system.

DSL?? i thought they decided to postpone its deployement :rolleyes:

is it still in a limited testing phase? can we join?

#22 May 2 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Zis,

we at VISP are deploying ADSL and ADSL2+ since the end of August. Do not believe the newspapers crap. The government (and some ISP) propaganda machine is too strong. Instead of informing people, they are DISinforming them. I wish they spend these "propaganda" money on something more useful.

That is one of VISP advantages --> we try to not rely on the government as much as possible. [end of self-advertising :)]

#23 May 2 2006

rolf

nuclearcat wrote:

10-20 megabytes is peanuts... nothing
last time one of our customers asked us to help him upload 600MB to our web-server
done less than 30 minutes, but it was manual upload
possible we need to make some special solution, for example if we give you space on our hosting, and ftp access, it will fit your needs?

Yes it is perfect :) we upload on a site then send the link to the client. That is actually what we are doing actually: we usually upload the files to our site which is hosted in the US and then send a link for the download to the client.

#24 May 2 2006

rolf

Is it possible to make something like that? It would be really nice, thanks :)

#25 May 3 2006

nuclearcat

Yes, we can do that. I think for such solution upload is almost not important. Correct? Space on website i can give in 5 minutes.
We can test even now, but later u have to bring connection from us

If you have, we can meet in our office, and discuss affordable price for you. And $800 it is too much for such needs. Tell me what is acceptable $ for you, i will tell you - what we can give by this money.

Board footer