LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 28 2012

Monkey D. Luffy

Fire in Beirut

Yesterday there was a fire in the burj hammoud region (apparently it was a warehouse full of tires)

In the news barely a 20 seconds report on this catastrophic (humanly, ecologically) incident! Am I the only one shocked by this?
Is the son of a minister speaking on the news more important than the health of Beirut population? Were is the country going?
I would like to hear all your reactions (and refrain from including politics)

#2 April 28 2012

Ayman

Re: Fire in Beirut

Monkey D. Luffy wrote:

Were is the country going?

In my opinion it is going backwards as long as the same leaders who ruled since the days or war still exist and have high popularity among people. And as long as religion has the power to turn people the way it wants to follow those leaders. Its a problem, and I have no idea how it can be solved. People need to be awakened to carry out a revolution, but it is really hard to change the masses of brainwashed or uneducated people and make them go for carrying out real change to lay grounds for a healthy, productive, powerful and un-corrupt nation.

#3 April 28 2012

rtp

i agree with AymanFarhat, you cant follow the same leaders and expect different result...

that would be going to the same movie and expecting some new to happen

solution, we need a restart button

#4 April 28 2012

MrClass

Call the machines...let them restart the Matrix.

#5 April 28 2012

Monkey D. Luffy

Ayman has a good point but the problem is that there is no one candidate in the elections (legislative) that is NOT politically aligned with one of the current active party!

What do you think about the role of the medias in this also?

#6 April 28 2012

AVOlio

Damn, so thats what the Awful smell was !
I got a shower that Day, went out to the balcony to "Hang" the towels, and there it was an awful smell,
Smelled like that awful "breaks smell" on a car specially a bus when they break alot.
But now i know it was the smell of the tires burning.

WoW it arrived all the way from Bourj Hammoud to Dekwaneh.

Oh yea, which reminds me   @Monkey D. Luffy

Burj Hammoud is spelled  "Bourj Hammoud",
I would know, im armenian, and that is kind of our Turf lol

#7 April 28 2012

AvoK95

It's a few blocks from my house.
This is the smoke from the view outside my balcony:
529810_10150837422773377_706538376_9609563_744568265_n.jpg

This is from a the roof of a building taken from my friend:

580608_10150846124288627_610778626_11742041_405789060_n.jpg

I asked around , it seemed that some retards were burning tires in Dora roundabout.

#8 April 28 2012

AVOlio

Damn Dude,
If i couldnt bear the smell all the way here in Dekwaneh,
I wonder how standing in Your balcony Felt like !!!!

Last edited by AVOlio (April 28 2012)

#9 April 28 2012

AvoK95

Actually there wasn't any smell until today, today the whole town smells like burnt tires and everywhere is black dirt.

#10 April 28 2012

khalil13

seriously , apart from the human and ecological damage, the material loss due to this incident can be tragic, tires are so expensive usually!

#11 April 28 2012

khalil13

seriously , apart from the human and ecological damage, the material loss due to this incident can be tragic, tires are so expensive usually!

#12 April 28 2012

rolf

khalil13 wrote:

Not worn out tires, they're not...

#13 April 29 2012

Monkey D. Luffy

This place was like a "Tire Cemetery"

And those damn public media... Not a word until now... I guess that this minister/deputy/son of minister stating his opinion about the zimbabwe crisis is more important than the health of thousands of people :/

#14 April 29 2012

samer
Admin

Here's a picture I took:

463093_10150806495299238_513589237_9446616_1028473959_o.jpg

#15 April 29 2012

Monkey D. Luffy

samer wrote:

I used this picture on my blog if you don't mind (don't worry I mentioned the author)

#16 April 29 2012

xazbrat

And who can forget a more famous fire

Tire_fire.png

Tire fires have been know to burn for years.  It is actually safer for the environment to let them burn and have the hundreds of chemicals disperse into the air than to have them seep in the soil.  It is too bad places like this are in the heart of residential areas also.

Last edited by xazbrat (April 29 2012)

#17 April 29 2012

Monkey D. Luffy

It seems that this fire was caused willingly to extract metal and sell it http://bit.ly/IerIxA

Selon les experts, cités dans un communique de l'ONG publié dimanche, des pneus brûlés pour y extraire le fer afin de le revendre sont la cause directe de l'incendie. L'équipe a pris des photos de centaines de pneus en feu, a ajouté Greenpeace.

#18 April 30 2012

Badieh

I totally agree with what AymanFarhat said.

As for the tires, I think it was a warehouse that burned, not someone burning tires intentionally...so no idea.

Board footer