LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 21 2011

m0ei

Geohot got sued by Sony !

Well title says it all, Sony sued Geohot because of hacking his own PS3. And now he's asking for donation to get some good Lawers to win his case.

"Media, I need your help. This is the first time I have ever asked. Please, if you support this cause, help me out and spread the word.
I want, by the time this goes to trial, to have Sony facing some of the hardest hitting lawyers in the business.
Together, we can help fix the system"

Full details: http://geohot.com/

Anyway, for the ones that doesn't know about him, he's the same guy the released Blackra1n and Limera1n, Jailbreaks for the iPhone.

Do you think Sony has the full rights to sue Geohot for hacking his own PS3 ?
And he's completely against Piracy.

#2 February 21 2011

MegaCool

Re: Geohot got sued by Sony !

He's gonna get raped at prison, he asked for it.

The fact is alright, probably he can crack his own console and do whatever he likes offline. But what Mr. Geohot did is distribute the code onto the internet showing people how to hack their own device. Basically, Sony has the right to sue his ass off.

Piracy is wide-open now on the console, and he claims he's against it, and only reason behind the jailbreak is to run Linux and other apps. Seriously, who wants to run homebrew apps on a PS3? Isn't that what PCs are for! So yeah, that's a lame excuse.

He probably thought they'll legalize jailbreaking a console exactly like how the US courts dealt with the Apple's iPhone case 3 years ago.

#3 February 21 2011

mezin

MegaCool wrote:

He probably thought they'll legalize jailbreaking a console exactly like how the US courts dealt with the Apple's iPhone case 3 years ago.

please explain to me how this is different ....

#4 February 21 2011

saeidw

MegaCool wrote:

Piracy is wide-open now on the console, and he claims he's against it, and only reason behind the jailbreak is to run Linux and other apps. Seriously, who wants to run homebrew apps on a PS3? Isn't that what PCs are for! So yeah, that's a lame excuse.

Actually, a LOT of us want to run homebrew apps on our PS3's. A LOT of us don't want to be told by a company how to use hardware that we paid for! The Linux functionality was available in the PS3 when a LOT of us bought it, until Sony decided that we shouldn't be allowed to use it anymore, and locked it down!

MegaCool wrote:

But what Mr. Geohot did is distribute the code onto the internet showing people how to hack their own device.

That's right, he showed them how to hack their OWN devices. Not Sony's devices. Because when you buy a device, you become the owner of that device. Owners of devices should have the right to do with these devices as they please, including installing whatever they want on them.

His code is a tool: it can be used legitimately to do things we have the right to do, like install Linux, and it can be used illegally to pirate games.

Why is Sony punishing the toolmaker? Shouldn't it be punishing the pirates who actually ARE doing something illegal? Don't you see something wrong here?

#5 February 21 2011

nuclearcat

I'm against Sony.
After evil DRM they was distributing with their PC CD, after robbing users with $70 price for BR Disc, that contain few puzzles (now on shelf in Virgin)...
This company had solid DRM for many years, and they cannot complain that they have issues because of piracy. Instead of making benefit for users, they was not better than others, and even worse - huge prices and so-so quality.
I have Fallout for PC working great, and i have Fallout for PS3 working as piece of crap - crashing non-stop, and few other games that crashing.
Plus they remove OtherOS in newer consoles... why people still need their shit then in mainstream Linux kernel? Maybe just for comfort of US Army that using this consoles as bytecruncher in their devilish plans?

I hope people will help Geohot... and Sony will get some spanking.

#6 February 21 2011

xterm

saeidw wrote:

His code is a tool: it can be used legitimately to do things we have the right to do, like install Linux, and it can be used illegally to pirate games.

Which one of these two do you think 99.99% of PS3 owners care about?

#7 February 21 2011

ranibalaa

xterm not necessary , I have hacked my ps3 and i have linux installed on it and a lot of Homebrew apps. When i BUY my console, i own it. It's like if you buy an apple and they tell you you have to peel it and not just bite right through it. THIS IS PURE CAPITALISM. (excuse the caps)

#8 February 21 2011

xterm

ranibalaa wrote:

xterm not necessary , I have hacked my ps3 and i have linux installed on it and a lot of Homebrew apps. When i BUY my console, i own it. It's like if you buy an apple and they tell you you have to peel it and not just bite right through it. THIS IS PURE CAPITALISM. (excuse the caps)

One, I'm not defending sony. Two, I'm well aware that power users would love to mess around with their machines, install linux and the lot.

My question was and remains, what is motive of the majority behind 'breaking' the firmware.

#9 February 21 2011

saeidw

xterm wrote:

Which one of these two do you think 99.99% of PS3 owners care about?

You're absolutely right. An overwhelming majority of people may care about getting cheap pirated games. The question is, why is Sony suing Geohot for something other people might do with his code? Why not just sue those people (the pirates) when they break the law?

#10 February 21 2011

xterm

saeidw wrote:

You're absolutely right. An overwhelming majority of people may care about getting cheap pirated games. The question is, why is Sony suing Geohot for something other people might do with his code? Why not just sue those people (the pirates) when they break the law?

I presume its a preemptive strike, its not unheard of. Striking fear into someone early in the gaming is normal especially when the end result will be so damaging to Sony.

#11 February 21 2011

MegaCool

Either ways, that's not how you deal with mega-corporations.

As if he's like " I spilled oil on my car and set it on fire for some purpose, but I'm not responsible for it exploding and causing causalities"

If you want to mess with a company like Sony, fine, I'm not going to defend them, as if they should have the power to undo the damage.

But Geohot's case is different, he's an attention whore, instead of rather rambling how you pwned Sony, how about cracking the code and distribute it anonymously if you care that much about your precious Linux and open-source apps.
So yeah Geo is an idiot, might have great hacking skills, but he still should have knew how to deal with such issue. 

Most probably his next jailbreak would be out of prison!
I think he should stick to this  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iUvuaChDEg

#12 February 21 2011

arithma

@MegaCool: You can't forbit anyone from being an attention whore.
Legally, he's not doing anything wrong.
If he submitted the cracks anonymously, someone else may claim credit for it.

#13 February 21 2011

xterm

MegaCool wrote:

Most probably his next jailbreak would be out of prison!

I'm sorry, but i can't help but laugh my ass off at this.

#14 February 21 2011

Flakk

Im not with sony on this one but im also against the hacks and jailbreaks for the PS3.
Geohot made a mistake by revealing his true identity to the public and Sony has the right to sue him

Now most stores here in Lebanon who used to sell legit PS3 games are convincing their customers to modify their consoles. And people like me who don't want to modify their console and buy their games legally get left behind.

#15 February 21 2011

kareem_nasser

Sony's (Or SCEI) decision to lock Linux support on PS3 is to increase the game attach rates on the console so that they have some exclusives by third party publishers on their console. Because there is a good amount of PS3 owners who bought it to install Linux due to the launch titles being weak.

PS3 is a Computer Entertainment System, so it isn't some kind of an open-source homebrew personal computer but a pure entertainment media centered device.

I think my opinion is a corporate excuse.

#16 February 22 2011

Padre

yh ... corporate excuse :/

What happened to the old hardware we used to enjoy tweaking and modding ??
The media / entertainement companies are really putting a huge effort into "obscuring" their device to make them temper proof ... just to make more profit. It's a really fucked up system. When i buy something, i really wanna be able to bend it to my own will, without having my ass sued.

#17 February 22 2011

The-MMMs

It became a threat to PSN when Geohot released his firmware, and going online with custom firmware was a big no no and was already amended in the TOS of PSN that sony "fixed" after we say the jailbreaking via USB

if im not mistaken, Sony claimed this Private Key as their property, and Geohot literally published the Key - and even asked for a job out of it

Egocentric much ? - yes

also what Kareem said - not to mention, this whole hacking is a threat to Sony's money, would make sense why they're cracking down on Geohot.

Honestly if i were getting sued by a big company like Sony, i wouldn't go rap against them (dunno if you saw that video on his youtube channel) so childish.

- not to mention ever since the PS3 CFW came out all we have seen is some Piracy and literally almost no homebrew, some emulators here and there, but not so much - so much for "hacking".

Last edited by The-MMMs (February 22 2011)

#18 February 22 2011

kareem_nasser

#19 February 22 2011

forgotten

Oh come on who cares if sony loses money they are pirates themselves I recently red that they  used pirated software in their offices worldwide  and got raped because of that.

Concerning Geohot  he `s an Idiot  with no doubt....I mean  who cares If it was him who released ,wrote,made or stole the code NOBODY cares  if  it would have been someone anonymously it would have also done the job .

Credits for Hacking protected Firmwares are stupid! What was he awaiting a prize?

He is toast and no one will save him . maybe he should just piss off into the Antarctic there he could have a chance to live without going to jail and after that  paying 200 billions every month to ShitsONYou.

Sorry but I hate them Limiting their customers ass off spying out the privacy of their legal customers and  pissing off everyone who ever liked them. I mean their Ceo said the following when the Ps3 was announced: Yes the ps3 will be expensive If people want it they should work harder ! You get the idea this is so annoying.

#20 February 22 2011

Flakk

He should have learned from Dark alex.

#21 April 11 2011

rami

Board footer