LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 3 2009

Kareem

Pingtest.net

Hey, found something somehow to check the link quality, ping response, jitter and packet loss.

Check it guys and share your results

http://www.pingtest.net/

#2 October 3 2009

Kareem

Re: Pingtest.net

23029.png

#3 October 3 2009

battikh

23259.png

#4 October 3 2009

Hybrid

27477.png

#5 October 3 2009

Xsever

28244.png

#6 October 3 2009

J4D

34649.png

Last edited by jadberro (October 3 2009)

#7 October 3 2009

J4D

kareem    " ya3teek allah  il 3afyeh "    100%  packet loss  !!

#8 October 3 2009

Kareem

Im still not sure why I am getting 100% packet loss.. although 2ms jitter is somehow good but jeez wth was that?

#9 October 3 2009

WizaRd

Well Kareem LIBANTELECOM = Ogero

And i just tested it and got 100% packet loss too

Last edited by Flyingwizard (October 3 2009)

#10 October 3 2009

J4D

why are you so happy about that :)

#11 October 3 2009

Kareem

I do not understand what they mean by packet loss... Everything works fine here and upnp is enabled. Latency is minimal compared to other ISP. Jitter is excellent.. hmmm firewall disabled.. still 100% packet loss.. any explanation ?

#12 October 3 2009

J4D

Packet loss
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Packet loss occurs when one or more packets of data traveling across a computer network fail to reach their destination. Packet loss is distinguished as one of the three main error types encountered in digital communications; the other two being bit error and spurious packets caused due to noise.
Causes

Packet loss can be caused by a number of factors, including signal degradation over the network medium, oversaturated network links, corrupted packets rejected in-transit, faulty networking hardware, faulty network drivers or normal routing routines.
Effects

When caused by network problems, lost or dropped packets can result in highly noticeable performance issues or jitter with streaming technologies, voice over IP, online gaming and videoconferencing, and will affect all other network applications to a degree. However, it is important to note that packet loss does not always indicate a problem. If the latency and the packet loss at the destination hop are acceptable then the hops prior to that one don't matter.

Packet recovery

Some network transport protocols such as TCP provide for reliable delivery of packets. In the event of packet loss, the receiver asks for retransmission or the sender automatically resends any segments that have not been acknowledged. Although TCP can recover from packet loss, retransmitting missing packets causes the throughput of the connection to decrease. This drop in throughput is due to the sliding window protocols used for acknowledgment of received packets. In certain variants of TCP, if a transmitted packet is lost, it will be re-sent along with every packet that had been sent after it. This retransmission causes the overall throughput of the connection to drop.

Protocols such as UDP provide no recovery for lost packets. Applications that use UDP are expected to define their own mechanisms for handling packet loss.

Acceptable packet loss

Perhaps the way to garner this number and still maintain a semblance of objectivity is to offer target numbers for different classes of service or types of architectures

For example, certain routers allow you to "prioritize" your traffic according to content [putting the different types into different queues]. For such an architecture, you might specify that the highest priority for a critical service, packet types should pass with less than 1%[citation needed] packet loss. Lower priority packet types might pass with less than 5% and then 10% for the lowest of priority of services.

Packet loss is closely associated with quality of service considerations, and is related to the erlang unit of measure.

#13 October 3 2009

Ayman

65388.png

I have 100% packet loss too :/

#14 October 3 2009

battikh

it's called ping test but it doesn't use ICMP to do the tests (well, technically a ping doesn't HAVE to be an ICMP ping...).
did some packets capturing and:
during the packet loss phase, the packets sent have a source port 5060 and a destination port of 5060 (udp/5060 is sip)
while in the rest of the tests (ping a jitter), only the destination port is 5060, the source port is something else.

so it seems that ogero is blocking packets having a source port of 5060, and the rest is allowed. so you fail the packet loss test, but everything else works fine.

Last edited by battikh (October 3 2009)

#15 October 3 2009

Kareem

Well it is weird that Ogero is blocking some ports. I cannot find any reason for that. Anyway thanks battikh for your effort.

#16 October 3 2009

teodorgeorgiev

5060 (UDP or TCP) is for SIP --> Voice over IP. It is logical that Ogero would block those, but short time ago they weren't Odd...

#17 October 3 2009

Kareem

How come Terranet and others do not ?

Last edited by Kareem (October 3 2009)

#18 October 15 2009

Kareem

1005969.png

#19 October 15 2009

hj88

Photoshop can do wonders

#20 October 15 2009

Kareem

hj88 wrote:

Photoshop can do wonders

Hi smartguy, check this http://www.pingtest.net/result/1005969.png  :)

Your intelligence also can do wonders...

#21 October 15 2009

hj88

hehe, nice reply, how can you get 10 ms ping !!

#22 October 15 2009

Kareem

Nothing man, it's just a bug I found. When you use your PocketPC or PDA whatsover, flashplayer acts weird. I got 2ms reply but it was too far from reality.. if you notice that the jitter and the ping are almost equal. that would be enough to explain what is going on. Anyway I sent them a feedback clarifying the situation. Cheers..

#23 October 15 2009

Aly

I wont post my results it is embarrassing  my Latency with IDM is miserable.

#24 October 15 2009

Kareem

come on man, let it be a lesson for everyone thinking of switching to IDM

#25 October 15 2009

Aly

OK
I remember when I first saw your topic I tested my ping and I got a result but now I get an error :

Packet loss test error :
Couldn't connect to test server. A firewall could be be blocking the connection or the server might be having some issues. Please try again later.

But the result was that My ping to Limassol was between 600-650 ms which is nothing to be proud of :(

Edit : Pingtest is giving an error but speedtest is ok : 
593400616.png
you can see the Ping is skyhigh

Last edited by Aly (October 15 2009)

Board footer