LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 30 2011

imadthemad

It has begun

5yvjb6.png

i'm terranet
i have a 512k connection
i got a message from terranet on my phone saying starting october 1 my internet speed will be 8x more

when i got home and opened the internet, i got a terranet launch page that showed my 512k will become 2mbps, my 4GB up and 4GB down limits will become 20GB, as of october 1.

1 or 2 hours later i got an email from terranet saying "your dsl account has been successfully refilled"

i went to it and checked and realized it wasnt (i was worried actually coz i've been hearing some people's quotas being stolen and i didnt order a refill)

i double checked connection history + quota it was still the same as yesterday

i went to speedtest.net to check my internet speed and i got a result of 1.2mbps

i tested a download that was queued (as you can see in the screen) and the speed was 210-230KB\s
note that the thing i was downloading is a ~2 hour episode in 360p xvid quality and estimated download time was 58 minutes (which means streaming is a reality at last)

note however, don't get trapped and addicted to the numbers as i just have.
i usually get the quota refill email at 12 am when the new month sets in. So i thought maybe that has occured and new connection speeds = new quota.
I thought wrong and 300mb cost me 3$ in the old system (coz im already past quota for this month, as i have been for the past week :\)

hopefully the last 3$ that i will ever pay for going past the cap!

EDIT:
it has "ended"
yep. haven't seen 200KB\s in a few days...
Yest i had 140KB\s in the afternoon.

Now i have 30-64KB\s, and its after 8 too i used to get more before (i'd have 80KB\s around this time)...

sigh....

EDIT:
Alrite it seems the speeds were fixed again for me (must have been that marseille incident)

yesterday i left my comp on overnight and i can report some download speeds

from 11pm to 2am, speed was 50-60KB\s
from 2am to 3am, speed was 90KB\s
from 3 to 4am, speed was 140KB\s
from 4am to 7am, speed was 190-200KB\s

downloaded in total: 3.15GB over one night (but i started at 1am not 11pm, and last download finished 7:08AM)

Last edited by imadthemad (October 9 2011)

#2 September 30 2011

Aly

Re: It has begun

Good for you mate, let's see which ISPs will comply like terranet.

#3 September 30 2011

ghaith

When did you get that? I didn't get anything yet form Terranet. In the matter of fact i refilled for the 4th time this month yesterday. Hopefully my last time past the limit as well.. Though again, 20GB can be easily downloaded if they don't keep the unlimited by night offer.

#4 September 30 2011

amkahal

I'm with Terranet, nothing happened until now, maybe because my DSP is Ogero.

@imadthemad: Man, dou you know what is your VCI/VPI values ?

#5 September 30 2011

chosen2k

dude what was the ping in your speedtest?

Last edited by chosen2k (September 30 2011)

#6 September 30 2011

AvoK95

congrats dude,
i just want to ask
is it 20GB UP and 20GB Down
or 10 up 10 down ?

#7 September 30 2011

m0ei

@Avok95, 20 gb down and up together. So u choose your download and upload limit, you can use 3gb upload  for the month and the remaining will go for the downloads.

#8 September 30 2011

imadthemad

ty for the congrats but really im not benefiting from it today because it seems like a way to just burn $ on what i like to call quota dooms-day

my pings with terranet have been good for the past 5 months (140-230max to EU servers. Google.com returns 180 average ping)
as expected, my pings haven't changed

as for quota, 20GB for up and down
for what i do on the net, i have to upload some apps i make + lots of forum pics + attachments etc... so i think i upload more than 80% of lebanese internet users (the remaining 20% who upload more than me probably use video chat alot)
and the most upload quota i ever used was 2.2GB once (on average i use 1.5GB upload quota)

this thread is not to make you jealous (nothing to be jealous of yet if we jinx it and my connection is slow again tomorrow :O), its more or less to give the positive atmosphere that this is going to happen tomorrow

when i first read the terranet automated page that popped up, it said effects will take place October 1 but it also said something about "as long as there are no technical difficulties from MoT or Ogero" or something. I hope the fact that i am experiencing faster internet means there aren't\won't be any problems for any of us.

#9 September 30 2011

ghaith

Just got home and found this: http://dslnews.terra.net.lb/default512.aspx
I called them and they said the 20GB is shared, so it will be the sum of what i use which is better than the previous 4x4 yet less than the expected 20x20 I guess. But well we can't ask for everything now can we.
Also the unlimited by night is still available for the areas that previously had it though double speed will not be.

#10 September 30 2011

imadthemad

btw here is a speedtest result
1509404811.png

i just noticed how impressive upload speed is

but download speed seems pretty jittery. The graph is ups and downs, it starts the speed test at 0.6 and bursts to 1.8-1.9 and goes back down to 1 and bursts to 1.3 for the finish line.
If i test on the default speedtest server (closest, i think Aya ISP) i get stable 1-1.1mbps
However when i use my download manager (multi-threaded download) i get 210-230KB\s once all 10 connections are established (the picture above is nettransport, and that speed is average speed since first connection is established, so 200KB\s was average over one minute of downloading. Nettransport shows burst speed-or speed in the last second-in the bottom status bar and i was getting 210-230 patterns and 190-243 patterns).

on youtube i stream 720p with close to no lag. Maybe 5 seconds of total stoppage time for a 2 minute video.
360p loads much faster than watching.

#11 September 30 2011

imadthemad

yea that was the page i was talking about http://dslnews.terra.net.lb/default512.aspx

#12 September 30 2011

imadthemad

im scared of "Upgrades are subject to technical feasabilitiy by MoT" as i'm not sure what they mean

#13 September 30 2011

Monkey D. Luffy

Still no news from IDM

#14 September 30 2011

bigjudge

amkahal wrote:

I'm with Terranet, nothing happened until now, maybe because my DSP is Ogero.

@imadthemad: Man, dou you know what is your VCI/VPI values ?

My DSP is cable one, i am with terranet, i have been enjoying the upgrade for the last 3 days or so, about 215k, sweet.

#15 September 30 2011

The-MMMs

a friend on IDM has the followng right now showing up on his modem :

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:    508 / 1.021

I had to walk him through it (he isn't what you would call up to spec with such things) but he said: Youtube tayara

So yeah ...

He was a standard 256kb/s subscriber btw.

Still no response from Ogero yet. :(

Last edited by The-MMMs (September 30 2011)

#16 October 1 2011

Leonedes

Ive been getting over 3mbps for 2-3 days now for some reason  Im with TerraNet btw, heres a test I just ran:

88853134.png

By the way, I used to be a 1 mbps subscriber, and don't even dream about getting a speed close to 4 .. max would be 3.5, still good news anyway.

#17 October 1 2011

Joey862

on ogero's webside: (Still nothing from ogero)

Server error:

The Web Site is currently being updated. You can't currently view your bills, please try loging in later .....

#18 October 1 2011

Joey862

I just called Ogero, he said they didnt receive anything yet :|

#19 October 1 2011

Blue7

Nothing new for IDM users

#20 October 1 2011

leblinux

Got 1Mbps and 10 GB shared this morning upon refilling. (Terranet users) Speed tops 29 Kbps which is so good compared to my old 24kbps at 256 kbps. (I am being sarcastic) .... Anyhow the speetest.net shows tremendous 0's in speeds

1510559865.png

Also on my Thomson router shows:

DSL Type:    G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:    124 / 251

( I hope its still undergoing testing maintenance and in the following days I should get the speed mentioned)

*** I live outside Beirut (Khaldeh central)....

Last edited by leblinux (October 1 2011)

#21 October 1 2011

Abou7meed

I am with Terranet & having WISE wireless machine,
I am still 256 !!  :(

#22 October 1 2011

Beej

^ lol

I didnt refil yet so i dont know the speed or anything yet. All i want to know is this: Will these new speeds help us play online games better? And which connection that will allow for smooth gaming?

#23 October 1 2011

ILIA_93

Beej wrote:

Will these new speeds help us play online games better? And which connection that will allow for smooth gaming?

It depends on what you're looking for, and which kind of servers you're gonna be playing on.
1) The more the game is a massive multi-player one, you'll need to get higher speed, or the more the servers contains player. Like 1Mbps will be enough for 16 players server, but surely unplayable with 64 players.
2) If the servers you're gonna be plying on are "P2P", you need a rocket speed internet when playing with 20 players. While if the server is dedicated, 1Mbps should be more than enough.

I guess 4Mbps will be a descent speed to play like an extreme gamer. But not when your ping is still above 200ms!!!! No matter on what speed you'll get, 200ms ping will make the game lagy and unplayable.

Just try to keep yourself alive for about 3 years, until we get FTTH, and then go wild on the internet. Can you do that!! ;-)

#24 October 1 2011

leblinux

leblinux wrote:

Got 1Mbps and 10 GB shared this morning upon refilling. (Terranet users) Speed tops 29 Kbps which is so good compared to my old 24kbps at 256 kbps. (I am being sarcastic) .... Anyhow the speetest.net shows tremendous 0's in speeds

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1510559865.png

Also on my Thomson router shows:

DSL Type:    G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:    124 / 251

( I hope its still undergoing testing maintenance and in the following days I should get the speed mentioned)

*** I live outside Beirut (Khaldeh central)....

Called terranet and said that the Ogero Central nearby your location did not upgrade yet. ( waiting in progress...)

#25 October 1 2011

Monkey D. Luffy

IDM Report: I just called them they said that our lines are being upgraded and that we should see change gradually (512 subscriber)

Board footer